OM-D + FL-36R RC Menu camera flash options

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OhWellOK, Jan 18, 2013.

1. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hope this isn't a stupid question-I'm teaching myself lighting and flash and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to an option in the RC menu. I've searched the forums, the manual and David Bausch's book. From p. 97 of OM-D manual:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/89357550@N05/8393806052/" title="RCMenu by jaribartsch, on Flickr">"640" height="258" alt="RCMenu"></a>

I'm using an E-M5 in RC Mode with 1 FL-36R wirelessly off camera to light a still life. Flash control mode for Group A is set to TTL. Flash is also in RC Mode.
    What mode should I set the accessory flash? Off or TTL? Maybe M? :confused:
    Ideally I want my up close subject to be lit by the FL-36R only and NOT in combination with the accessory flash. Is this possible? The communication light level is set to LO. I still seem to be having unpredictable results.
    Many thanks!

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I think you want it OFF, so it only emits the pre-flashes to evaluate the scene and send the signal to your FL-36R.

3. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Not sure what you mean by unpredictable results. But, I, too, have been recently experimenting with a Pen E-PL5 in RC mode with an FL-36R off-camera and trying to get more consistent results. I set the accessory clip-on flash to OFF, but sometimes I still get a shadow in close-up shots using a 12-50 lens in macro mode.

I'm not sure I completely figured it out yet, but I found that if I use a small aperture (f16-22), then no shadow is evident. If I use a larger aperture (f5.6-8), then the shadow starts to show up. What I think is happening is that the clip-on flash is emitting a constant albeit small flash intensity. At larger apertures, the FL-36R cannot overpower the clip-on flash without overexposing the image. However, at smaller apertures, the constant intensity of the clip-on flash is overpowered by the FL-36R and the shadow is not evident. Does this make any sense?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Try flipping the accessory flash up or using a bounce card on it. :) If you're in a controlled environment (you're doing still life, so I'm sure you are), then the FL-36R should still receive the signal. It has a very sensitive sensor.

5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the tips. Just had a chance to play around with this. So yeah
    TTL = accessory flash triggers external flash + adds to the exposure
    OFF accessory flash triggers external flash - doesn't add to exposure
    M=accessory flash triggers external flash + adds to the exposure but with manual adjustable power

Not sure why I wasn't getting this?? :redface: although lighting and flash is really new to me.

Ned - The idea of using a modifier on clip on flash is a good one especially with M mode - but i don't think E-M5 flash can fully flipped up?? I used an old translucent 35mm canister to diffuse flash. You can really finely adjust the output of the accessory flash for subtle fill light this way.

6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    +1 for this, one of the best things I added, it makes the accessory flash useable. Gets a few odd looks, but who cares......

7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    More helpful flash Info

Some additional helpful OM-D + FL36R Flash info from Gary Ayton's photo wiki

I was trying to figure out "Why does my OM-D only sync to 1/160 sec shutter using wireless RC mode?" :confused: :mad:

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It can add a LIITLE to the exposure if close enough to the subject...certainly would add a catchlight. I don't know if this link will work, but this was taken with the on-camera flash set to off, and the communication light level set to the three different light levels...these were shot under my desk, with the camera a couple of feet up:
    Mike_PEAT: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

9. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    Can either of you explain what you mean by this? Do you just slip the canister over the flash?

10. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Google Film Canister Flash Diffuser You kind of have to cut a slot in a translucent film canister that fits over end of clip on flash. If you're using the accessory flash by itself, I've had some success making a crude bounce/diffuser with a white business card and a rubberband. I'm still looking for a more elegant solution for travel for this though.

11. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Yes, I cut a lengthways slot in the canister, just wide enough for the base of the accessory flash, then slide it on sideways, and put the lid of the canister back on to secure it/stop it slipping off.

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Getting way off the original topic now, but as you are the OP, I thought you wouldn't mind this suggestion :smile:

The Lim's Easy Bounce Flash Diffuser for the Sony NEX is a good option for travel if you only want to take the accessory flash with you.

It fits perfectly on the FL-LM1 for the EPL3/EPL5, but will not fit over the FL-LM2 for the E-M5 (I'm still thinking about whether I want to try and cut/hack the retaining band to fit on my E-M5).

It's a bouncer, not a diffuser, i.e. needs a light coloured ceiling to bounce off, so not for outdoors, where your film canister is better.

Available on eBay, mine took 10 days to come from Korea
    LIM'S EASY Bounce Flash Diffuser HVL-F7S For Sony NEX-5N NEX-3 Mirrorless Camera | eBay

Actually, the images show it better here, but it is slightly more expensive from this vendor.
    NEW LIM's Easy Bounce Flash Diffuser for SONY NEX-5 NEX-5n NEX-C3 NEX-3 HVL-F7S | eBay

I did email Lim, but they confirmed they will not be making one dedicated to the E-M5 :frown:

HTH.

Les.

13. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the tip savvy. Ill check those out. I was Also looking at this one http://www.dembflashproducts.com/popup/ this one is compatible with omd and looks like it may even work with epl5 as it uses elastic to fit flash. Sorry for formatting-on my phone.