1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D external flash problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kkskkskks, Jun 7, 2012.

1. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    I have a Yongnuo YN462 single-pin manual flash unit that works on a GF2 but not on a OM-D (on hotshoe), does anybody have similar experience? Is an Oly/Panny external flash required on OM-D?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    What shutter speeds did you set for your high and low flash sync ?

3. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    the default is 1/250 for high and 1/60 for low, I changed the high to 1/160 still no flash. It does flash once while sliding into the hotshoe but the flash icon is grey out, and would not flash when shutter is pressed. There's no flash icon showing so it seems like it's not recognizing the flash, while GF2 does.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Do you have "fill flash" selected in the Live View or SCP screen ? 1/60 low and 1/250 high sync speed are probably the preferred shutter speed settings.

5. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    I tired that and even in full manual mode in live view, still no flash :(

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Did you engage the flash mode on the camera?

7. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    yes, I use the same procedure as with the mini flash, the mini flash works but this doesn't. I don't understand how could this work on GF2 and not on OM-D.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nope not required. I actually make more use of older flashes (mostly Sunpaks) than flashes that TTL. In fact, I have the exact opposite problem. My Olympus FL300R does not work on the OMD hotshoe but my sunpak does.

My flashes do not illuminate the flash symbol on the OMD but trigger just fine..... i think that only happens with olympus TTL flashes.

9. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    Sounds like OM-D is selective on external flashes on hotshoe...

10. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Must be something with Yongnuo flashes. I use the supplied mini flash, FL36R, FL-300R, OM T-32's, Om T-10, Nikon SB-26's & Nikon SB-800's with no problem.

12. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    strange thing is that the same flash works on my GF2 just fine...

13. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
  14. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    Did you figure out why the FL-300R would not work on hotshoe?

I think at least some OM-Ds has this hotshoe flash problem. I met up with someone on craigslist with a FL-36 thinking that OEM flash should work on OM-D, the flash unit detected the focal length of the lens, however, it simply could not flash at all on my OM-D's hotshoe (just like the YN-462, when it slides into the hotshoe it would flash once but never flashes when shutter is pressed). For reference the FL-LM2 works just fine on my OM-D. Does any OM-D user with oly/non-oly external flash encounter this problem? For my OM-D the only working external flash so far is the FL-LM2 and this is disappointing.:frown:

15. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    OM-D Hot-Shoe issue

See my post here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/fl-300r-omd-25902/index2.html

The non-Oly flash I tested is a Nikon SB-26, which worked in Manual mode as directed in the OM-D instructions. The 300R required the described kludgy workaround to register with the camera. While registered it works fine.

16. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    OM-D Hot-Shoe issue

I think I know the cause & a solution for this issue:

For me, the more I used the FL-300R on the hot-shoe, the more reliable it became. I realized that the "break-in" was helping remove whatever contact-breaking "glaze" there may have been on the bared metal portion of the inside edge of the OM-D hot-shoe rails. I cleaned these further (gentle scraping with an exacto knife, or fine sandpaper), and now the operation is flawless; no more break in contact or lack of registration.

17. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I still haven't gotten it to work...

Its currently spending most of its time on my LX3's hotshoe.

18. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    The FL-300R *does* complement the LX3 nicely!

I guess there are multiple reasons an external flash might not register for some OM-D hot-shoes. I had seen that this could also be a problem on a few E-P3s & E-PL2s.

19. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    im guessing you guys double check voltage first in your camera and flashes right?. +/- 1V difference could f*** up either you flash or camera for life.

here it always comes handy! http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

20. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Why wouldn't a flash designed for the particular camera not work with that camera? You are familiar with the flash and cameras we're talking about here, aren't you? They are compatible with Olympus/Panasonic flashes, which use the same TTL standard. There's no need to go to that site you mentioned.

Anyway that site has to do with flash trigger voltages, not TTL voltages.