OM-D exposure compensation issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgharold, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You're not already at the max or min aperture, are you? That would prevent the camera from adjusting it wider (or smaller). I'll have to check on my camera, as I generally don't user Shutter preferred.
  3. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Figured it out. Had a blonde moment.
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Auto ISO is another variable besides Aperture & the two would be altered to achieve the 'right' exposure when in Shutter Priority (with a set shutter speed) with aperture changing first. Exposure Compensation is just 'shifting the goal post' for the outcome. The set shutter speed still needs to be within usuable limits showing in yellow while the aperture will be in white & will flash if not within the usuable range if the ISO is fixed, but if ISO is also Auto (which is usually the default), it will flash (in white) if it is out of range if the shutter speed is too fast for the largest aperture available.

To put it simply, set the shutter speed (in Shutter Priority) & the Aperture will be selected to suit first followed by the ISO increasing as needed with Exposure Compensation allowing a darker or lighter outcome.

I hope my ramblings help. :wink: