1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D EVF Delay

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I got an OM-D about two months ago and followed the DPReview guide to setting it up.

My basic problem with it is that there's always a delay in the viewfinder image coming up when I raise it to my eye.

I have an E-PL1 with a VF-2 set so that it's always on. When I raise it to my eye, I see the view instantly. I can't find a way to do this with the OM-D. There's always a slight delay, which I find very annoying.

Is there any way to set the OM-D so that the EVF is always on whenever the camera is on, except for when I happen to switch to the rear LCD to check something?

It's enough to make me sell the thing and get a couple of E-PL2s.:frown:

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    Yes there is. its in the custom settings area, just turn off evf auto switch.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Page 92 EN

Menu -> Cogs -> J

EVF Auto Switch

If [Off] is selected, the viewfinder will not turn on when you put your eye to the viewfinder. Use the |o| button to choose the display.

Setting off will make the EVF work just like your E-PL1.... it will only switch between rear display and EVF when you push the button on the side of the viewfinder.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If you hold the EVF button, this option will appear. No need to work through the whole menu system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave Jenkins

Thanks for the help, guys. Now, here's another one for you: I had my OMD set up to use a smaller screen view with the data around the edges but not within the picture area. Since I switched the EVF Auto Switch to Off, I'm getting a full-screen view with the data inside the picture area. Can I change that? It still shows up as Style 2 on the Menu, but what I'm getting is Style 3.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

interesting... sounds like a bug... report to Olympus?

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unfortunately that's how it works. Auto EVF has to be on in order to get the choice of EVF views.

Would be nice to see that changed.

8. Dave Jenkins

Well, if I have to choose, I will choose to have Auto EVF turned off so the viewfinder is always on and I can bring it to my eye with no delay. And I can at least use the Info button to get less clutter in the viewfinder.

9. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Ditto I wanted it to be off as in auto off and use the one with the black bar ? but since it now thinks its the main screen it has to do other things I guess ? strange way to do it but oh well maybe they can change it if we can somehow ask in a firmware fix ?

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Definitely a bug. Sufficiently small that I think there's a chance they'll fix it in an updated firmware.

DH

11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I doubt it's a bug. I think it was probably a deliberate programming choice. What it allows you to do is to look at the OLED screen to get the full range of info and then back to the EVF for the more limited range of info you get with the smaller image. That's easier than menu diving to swap between choices and my feeling is they made things this way for that reason.

But, while I don't think it is a bug, I do think it was a bad interface design choice not to provide the option to select the other viewfinder options while the EVF Auto setting is set to Off.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    But there is an option to choose the other viewfinder modes when EVF Auto is off. Cogs -> J -> first item.

DH

13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    On my E-M5 the viewfinder view option you select at that first item only works when I have the EVF Auto option set to "On". The moment I turn EVF Auto to "Off" the viewfinder view defaults back to the same view as I get on the OLED screen. I wish it didn't but I have found no way around that and I have looked. In fact I just looked again after reading your post.

14. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That's an understatement. I don't usually criticise Olympus, but this design was just stupid. What's the point of having the choice of different EVF displays if you can't use them without also using the auto switch.

15. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Hi, this has been bugging me for the past 4 months. Whilst the OM-D is not perfect it is the nearest thing to it for me. If you set the Auto EVF to off as suggested in an earlier post. Someone commented that the button on the side of the EVF then switches between EVF and OLED. If this is the case how do you then get the SCP up? As default the button on the side of the EVF switched between OLED and EVF?

16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Wow, crazy. I never noticed this because I use the default Style 3 for the EVF. That's an annoying bug for anybody that prefers a different EVF display style.

I just press the OK button to bring up the SCP.

17. drcolby

drcolby Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Can Panasonic viewfinders be used on Olympus EPL-1?

I have a number of legacy lenses with G camera and Panasonic viewfinders. I would like to try Olympus' IBS system and an wondering if the two companies vewfinders might be interchangable?

Thanks,
    Dave

18. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    No. Different accessory ports. Only Leica and Olympus are interchangeable.