1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D EVF clutter when control touched

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Don C., Sep 5, 2012.

1. Don C.

Don C. New to Mu-43

Sep 5, 2012
    South Carolina
    I've had my OM-D for a few weeks and generally like it. But there are a few issues with the EVF that are annoying. I've seen similar posts, but most are a few months old, so I was wondering if anyone has found a solution since.

The problem:

I like a very minimalist viewfinder. Basically just key shooting parameters and nothing else. My EVF is configured to Mode 1 (blue info bar at the bottom, no side displays). I shoot mostly in aperture priority mode.

Everything is nice and uncluttered until I make an aperture adjustment. Then a bunch of icons appear along the sides of the viewfinder for a few seconds before vanishing. Any control touch brings them back again for a few seconds.

I really don't need to be reminded what AF or IBIS mode I am in. Everything I need is in the bottom blue info bar. This clutter is just plain irritating.

Is there any way to suppress it? Using the various choices selected by the INFO button doesn't seem to be able to eliminate the junk entirely.

Any recently discovered solutions?

Thanks!

2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Not that I know of, unfortunately. But maybe we'll hear from someone more enlightened than I- I'd like to have a clearer EVF, too.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

* D Disp -> Info Settings -> LV-Info -> Image Only -> On (Set the rest to Off)

* J Built-In EVF -> Info Settings -> Image Only -> On (Set the rest to Off)

• Like Like x 1
  4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Please disregard my prior post. I did figure this out a while ago, but I forgot I had done so! What you have to do is to go into the menu, custom menu (the one with the cogwheels), the EVF submenu (J), and then the Info Settings option. There, make sure Image Only is turned On, and you can shut the others off if you like. Make sure to press OK. All you then have to do Is to press the Info button repeatedly while you're looking through the EVF until you get the clean viewfinder.

Enjoy!

5. Don C.

Don C. New to Mu-43

Sep 5, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've tested them both and they do not cure the problem. The EVF is nice and empty until I touch the aperture dial. Then the info re-appears for a few seconds before clearing.

6. SteveFine

SteveFine New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    I know this is an old thread but I have exactly the same problem with my EM5 and after many hours of playing with the menus and searching the web I too cannot find an answer to this. So my question is has anyone solved this one and if so can they please supply me with a solution. It is driving me mad. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    After all info settings are set to off (post #3) just 1/2 press the shutter button and then make you shutter/aperature/exposure comp adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveFine

SteveFine New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Thanks Clint

I was hoping there was a menu option that would allow me to turn them off altogether but your workaround looks like being my best option.

9. Jdee

Jdee New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2013
    This has got to be the most annoying thing about using the em5 and em1. I like a clean viewfinder just showing essential settings and as soon as you touch the control dials it's littered with a huge # of things I could care less about. For all the customization available you'd think this would be something you could change.

10. SteveFine

SteveFine New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    I raised this with Olympus support and got the following response:-

"The information icons disappear automatically after adjusting settings using the dials or alternatively you can do it by using the Info button."

This is true, but they come back again as soon as you move one of the dials.