1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D - Eta Carinae Nebula

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Chris Malikoff, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Chris Malikoff

Chris Malikoff Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Just as a test, more to position the object in my viewfinder using high ISO and LiveTime (brilliant for astro work), I took this shot of the Eta Carinae nebula last night with my OM-D through a Takahashi 90mm fluorite apochromatic refractor. As soon as I had it positioned, I was going to continue with low ISO subs to collect data. The clouds rolled in. Boom. Nada. Oh well, this image shows that the sensitivity is good, although it blows out a little with chromatic aberration on bright stars at this high ISO. I'll have to wait for another night now to try again when it's clear out.

Olympus OM-D & Takahashi Sky90 Apochromatic refracting telescope on Losmandy G11 equatorial mount guided by a Takahashi FS-60C and QHY5/PHD.

EtaC_1500.

• Like Like x 14
  2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    OOhh, very nice.

I just picked up a 2-speed starlight focuser for my TeleVue 76, and expect to make a few tries at the moon sometime soon. I've been a pure visual observer for years, but the OMD is just asking to be paired with some bigger optics. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    wow man! awesome stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I love astro photography ... just looking at the heavens sorta makes make arguing on the internet so insignificant - lol.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

That's some serious astronomy equipment sitting there :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I camp in a couple of dark sky areas and love to explore the skies with my naked eyes and some iPad apps. Maybe if there is enough interest Amin and the moderators would consider adding and an astro-photo sub-forum? Chris' photo is quite compelling.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Your work and that of other star gazers inspires me to get another telescope. I had an 8" Schmidt Casagrain (sp?) with the computer thingy to keep it alligned and for finding just about anything visible out there. But I was only 40 miles from two big cities and the sky was just not dark enough. I never got into astrophotography then but I'm in a great place to do so now. The skies here in SW Texas are quite dark and I have bluffs I can drive to allowing me to get well above the trees. I need to get together with like minded people doing this stuff so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for your posting.
    :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  8. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Awesome indeed! I'd love to get into astro photography as well, but I've got too many other expensive hobbies already :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pretty neat!

• Like Like x 1
  10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Excellent shot - I was able to catch a few southern showpieces in the past, but missed eta Car.
    Slightly off topic: do you know of a source for directly adapting :43: to 2" focusers? I looked several months ago with no luck, and I'm too busy to build one. If you know of any: thanks!

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow! Great shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Malikoff

Aug 17, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the kind comment Jim.

As far as your MFT to 2" - I use one of these:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Mate this to a standard 2" T-Ring adapter and Bob's your uncle.

Attached Files:

13. Chris Malikoff

Aug 17, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you everyone. :) I'm looking forward to doing the proper job when I see a clear sky. There's so much more in this nebula that only exposure time will show.

14. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Thanks Chris! I keep hoping to find a T-less option to shorten the focus distance, but little luck on that. One of these days I'll just do the T-mount adaptation... clearly it works pretty well! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Jimr t less option can be bought from telescopesadapters.com or CNC supply

Chris good luck with the OM-d, the light weight is good for focusers compared with heavier canons

• Like Like x 2
  16. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Ahh-Ha! Brilliant! Just what I needed, and I didn't know they even existed. I had decided that using my OMD on the larger dob just wasn't going to work, since I needed more in-focus travel. But this looks like it'll let me reach focus.

17. Chris Malikoff

Aug 17, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Let us know how you go Mike. Keen to see what you get. :thumbup: