OM-D EM-5II From henrys.ca for $900 (cad) = $700 (usd)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by steve16823, Oct 9, 2015.

1. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    This sure seems like a great deal to me, unfortunately I am not in a good position to pull the trigger at the moment.

Henry's has the OM-D EM5 Mark II marked down to $899 Canadian. With the currently favorable exchange rate, this is about $700 US. Shipping is about $13 (cad).

http://www.henrys.com/89295-OLYMPUS-OM-D-E-M5-MARK-II-BODY-BLACK.aspx

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Olympus Canada is selling the E-M5 II for $899.99 as well. I am also currently not in a position to pull the trigger as well, but this is good. Price is dropping. Hopefully it will be much less next year with the E-M1 II on the horizon.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Tempting even though I don't need another body. :biggrin:

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    how's warranty work for US buyers? Seems like a great deal.

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    You can always send it back to Henrys and then they will ship to Trinitek which is the authorized repair depot for Canada for any warranty work.

6. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I thought Olympus warranty was international?

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The prices on the Olympus Canada website are really good; the E-M1 is $1,099 CDN, the E-M10 II is $749 CDN and the original E-M10 is $599 CDN.
    I would be willing to bet their sales have tanked since the huge price increase at the end of June and they're trying to buy their way back into the dealers' good graces again. As I've mentioned before, none of the local dealers I've been to in the last few months are carrying much more than a single E-M series body and a few lower cost lenses these days.

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The price increase was inevitable as our dollar tanked this year. Any increase in sales would always be welcome to Olympus and of course paying less for a new body is always welcome. You're buying? :)

9. sublimesun

sublimesun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    British Columbia
    Matt
    An increase was inevitable, however not as much as it did. The bodies were not that huge if an increase, but the lens increase was ridiculous. I'm with Carbonman on this one. Stores in Canada are not selling much Olympus anymore. I would imagine most of their sales are to US buyers taking advantage of the currency conversion.

10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Sony may be the reason why stores are not selling the Olympus well anymore. Their recent models aren't competitive specs wise against the Sony A6000 and the A7 series which continue to sell well. The E-M5 II has not done well because it's not a breakthrough product like the original E-M5 was and the E-M10 II is a welcome addition. But again price wise; I'm just not sure it is going to compete very well against Sony. Most people buy on specs and on the fear that if you don't own full frame, you are not making a sound investment in your camera gear. Part of it is true, but of course part of it is not.

I'm always wondering if US buyers are funding the sales of Olympus now with the favourable exchange rate.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If so that's fine. We get good prices most of the time. How else are we going to get all those great shots of Canada?

12. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Warranty wise, is it better to buy from Canada or ebay international sellers? Those sellers really offer great price like $690 brand new EM1 or $1200 with 12-40mm Pro from South Korea. Canadian price for EM1 is still very high compare to those South Korean sellers.

13. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    The last time I looked at an Oly financial report, it didn't seem the U.S. was very significant for Oly cameras. The U.S. trails Asia and Europe for Oly camera sales and is only about half of the Japanese market alone.

Certainly the margins are much higher for Oly selling cameras in the U.S. Because of that difference they probably see the U.S. as a market to sell inventory they couldn't sell out in Asia (for example, the E-PL6, or the E-M5 Elite edition minus the 12-40 lens).

I would go with Canada if the warranty is important to you. Most of the Asian sellers sold out of their worldwide warranty (pre-September 2014) gear, and are now selling inventory with warranties only valid in those countries. Whereas if you buy a Canadian item, I'm pretty sure the warranty is regional and covers both Canada and the U.S., meaning you can get it serviced in the U.S. If not, shipping it for repair to Canada isn't a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Too bad the Canadian E-M1 price even with the benefit of exchange rate is still much higher than those from Asia.

15. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Another idea I have is that Canada is in a technical recession. People during a recession aren't enthusiastic in spending money on things like a camera so the instant rebate (they call it for this sale) will help move inventory. It wasn't long ago that we Canadians were helping the US economy while they were in a technical recession after the housing busts with us spending a lot of our Oil and Gas money in "stuff" in the US. Of course, now it's reversed.

16. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Never purchased from Henry's before. Does anybody know if we have to pay import taxes?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  17. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Olympus used to have a worldwide warranty but changed that policy a year or two ago. However, if you send it back to Henrys, I'm sure they will take care of the warranty for you.

18. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Henry's is a major Canadian brick and mortar photography store - they also sell on ebay in the USA. You shouldn't have to pay duty (aka import tax).

19. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Any good soul traveling to Europe that would be willing to bring one over? :)

20. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I guess I might grab one sometime during one of the next trips to Windsor, ON... ;-)