1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D EM-5: What and where have you ordered?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phoque, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I've just ordered my OM-D EM-5 from a local store here in Ottawa. I choose the black camera with 12-50mm lens. What about you?

2. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    I ordered the silver E-M5 with the 12-50mm for a local store in Toronto. I also ordered the battery grip.

3. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    I ordered a silver body, the grip, and I just bought myself the 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4 and the 45mm f1.8. Also in Toronto, funnily enough. Can't wait!

4. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi EthanFrank,

Have you voted on the poll on one of the body only option?

Nice system you're going to have there!

5. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    Too funny. I also order a 25mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 to go with it. I thought long and hard about ordering the 12mm f2 as well; but, settled on a 14mm f2.5 from ebay instead.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I ordered the Silver body only from B&H, but I keep thinking maybe I want the black with the grip :(

7. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't be surprised if you wrote an email to them you could get your order cancelled/changed.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Where is the option to say you're not ordering until the price comes down a bit?

9. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Or the option to say you aren't buying until you can handle one in the store? I'm waiting to handle one to see if it's worth it to switch out of Nikon DSLR gear fully into the m43 system yet... Not 100% sure I like having two systems, but it may be the way I go if the E-M5 doesn't really make me feel the need over the Nikon.

10. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm really tempted to preorder an E-M5 but I'd really like to handle one first, not to mention take a look at silver vs black to see which body I like the best.

I'm also anxious to see the grip as well. It looks awesome. However, with a grip on an Em-5 it's about the same size as a small DSLR. So, why am I buying a 4/3 system again? Compact size, right?

I'm also sitting on $3000 worth of Canon DSLR gear. Decisions, decisions....

11. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    both

I first ordered the body only.
    But as the difference is so low in the uk ( where i ordered for the grip ) i ended ordering with the lens too.
    Even if i am feeling bad buying a bulky and not sharp lens, its the only weathersealed m4/3 alternative atm.
    First sharp weathersealed m4/3 zoom available will replace it.
    I was hoping for an olympus, but seems it will be a pana with the unnecessary stabilisation.

12. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I ordered a black body with 14-42. Personally, I prefer primes but I figured for $100 that this will likely be a nice, light, compact travel lens. Reviews seem to indicate its a pretty decent kit lens. If it wasn't for that, I would have just ordered the body.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've tried selling the 14-42 kits. I've sold about 3-4 of them. They've steadily dropped in value. I think the last one I sold, I sold for like $110. It was a 14-42 ii R. Then you take out shipping, paypal and the trouble to put it together, and I think I'll pass on buying any more cameras with the kit lens included.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yep, a kit lens is a kit lens is a kit lens, as I always say! The 12-50 is at least a better range and weather sealed, it'll probably end up with a resale value around $200 for those reasons. The most you can do with the 14-42 is be straight up, say you want $100 for it after fees/shipping and then figure out the lowest price you can live with. At least it ain't as bad as the panasonic 14-42mm! Their X zoom kit lens has a looooonnnnggggg way to go on value as well, it is way over-priced.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    hey now, my GF1's kit lens was the 20/1.7! =P

16. elduderino

elduderino Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Silver 12-50 from BH.

17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i did local- silver body only(hoping for a classy brown case, or skin replacement soon(aki asahi says theyre gonna make em for the em5, i emailed them)

(austins got me feeling guilty if i dont support local businesses... darn hippies!)

and...

im FIRST in the line :D

the gal put me down for the grip and new adapter as well.. where im #2 and #3 in line
    so hopefully i can grab everything i want right at day 1!
    unfortunately its looking like itll be a couple days AFTER my best friend leaves from his visiting me(he just got a nikon d5100, so it woulda been nice to have my new camera too! lol)

18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    panny does seem to have better kit lens options :(

19. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    So someone bought a grip without the camera? haha. just kidding, he probably bought the camera somewhere else.

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh she seemed to imply that each "kit" had a list. Silver body only. Black body only. Silver with 12-50, etc