OM-D EM-5 Video Problem, Sky Banding/Pixelation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cornelius, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    New m43 user and loving my Olympus so far. But I was hoping to do some quality video with it, but with it the first time today I noticed that there was some severe banding on a clear blue sky. It was blotchy, blocky and pixelated. I've updated the firmware in the hopes that it might help but didn't see any release notes regarding this issue.

Anyone else aware of this? Fixes? I do not want to return this unit. So far it's the best cam I've ever used but the video quality in this regard is far below standard.

And oh, this is my first post! Thanks for having this board!
  2. xenogears

xenogears New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2013
    Douglas Grillo
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Can you post a sample to Youtube and tell us your camera settings? Here's what my OMD does at ISO 200. Aperture Priority at F3.6 with kit 14-42 kit lens, Vivid picture mode, Sharpness +1 Sunshine white balance, Gradation set to normal. [ame=""]P9140158 - YouTube[/ame]
  4. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond:

Xeno, I'm on it. Still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles on this thing. Interesting that the video mode draws settings from other modes. Wish I could create a custom mode with my chosen parameters and have it draw from that rather than to commit to settings that I don't necessarily want.

M4/3: Here is the YouTube link: [ame=""]em-5: banding and blotchy sky with default video settings. - YouTube[/ame]

After some reading it appears that you simply cannot pan with EM-5 without filming. This is a great disappointment for those who wish to be free and creative with the camera eye.
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't blame E-M5

Know any video cam with auto ISO that can do a fast pan and not show similar problems? Video and fast panning make people barf so it is generally avoided.
  6. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Ok. Thanks RobWatson. I disagree entirely. How do you account for the gopro wave of true POV cinema verite? My old S3-IS never had such problems:

Here's another example, much slower, simpler:
    [ame=""]em-5: stairs banding pixelation - YouTube[/ame]