OM-D EM-5 photos will not import into Lightroom 4.2

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MacBook, Oct 7, 2012.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I shot a few photos yesterday and Lightroom 4.2 - Camera Raw 7.2 (Windows) would not accept them, saying they could not copy them. I was having no trouble importing into Lightroom 4.1 RC2 (Windows) before upgrading.

The same photos can be imported into Lightroom 4.1 RC2 on my Mac, and in Aperture and iPhoto.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. jodavis21

jodavis21 New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2012
    I upgraded recently and haven't had any trouble.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Are you importing from the camera directly, via a card reader or files copied to a drive?

Gordon

4. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Importing from the SD slot in the notebook, which I have done for months without problem. I also tried copying them to the notebook's hard disk and then import them from there. It sees the files as .orf files, just says it cannot import them.Olympus Viewer 2 brings them up readily, so there is no hardware issue.

5. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Same here

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Very odd. I haven't had any trouble with either my desktop (32 bit, external card reader) or notebook (64 bit, internal card reader).

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Sounds like a possible corrupt camera profile. I'd remove LR including manually deleting the profile for the OMD and re-installing.

Or you could copy the profile from your Mac and replacing the one on the PC.

Gordon

8. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I like the idea of something corrupt, and will work on that as time permits. I uninstalled and reinstalled Lightroom but did not look at the profiles. Fortunately, my desktop computer is okay and so there is no immediate need to solve this problem, it just bothers me to know it isn't working.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Download the DNG converter, copy the files to a local folder on your machine, and use the converter to convert them to DNG.

If the card is corrupt, you should either get errors while copying to your machine or the converter itself should also report an error during the conversion. If it works, then its something wrong with your install of LR.

10. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Tested it and it is not the card. So, it is back to the install of Lightroom.

Please bear with me because Windows is my second language, but it seems that when you uninstall the program in Windows, it does not really remove all the files associated with it. I'm wondering if there is a way to do a complete uninstall, or guidance on how to find remnant files.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Might or might not help to follow the advice in the post below (which was aimed at another problem but is worth investing 5 minutes to see if it might help yours):

12. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    This worked by replacing the preferences. Thanks for pointing me to this dialogue!

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Glad that worked!