OM-D EM-5...OK, so NOW I'm convinced.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Open up this link..........
    The SOUNDIMAGEPLUS blog -: Olympus OM-D EM-5 Review and user experience

Scroll down to the two images of the guitars taken with an OM-D and a GX1 at ISO 200.
    Open the images through Flikr in the original size.

I have to hold my hand up and say, the OM-D image is superior IMVHO, to that from the GX1.

Looks like I may be taking up my pre-order after all.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Interesting. I read the same review, looked at the ISO 3200 shot on flickr, and thought hmm... don't see any sensor difference here!

Guess we all have our own priorities... Thanks for the link,

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  5. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    It will look good besides the G3 :)
  6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Oly JPEGs have always been better. Panasonic have caught up a bit, but this isn't necessarily a strength unique to the OM-D.

It does look like a terrific camera in general though. I want one quite badly, but I would struggle to justify the price. It's a grand for the body only... I bought my GF1, 20mm, 45mm and 9-18 for a grand! I would be all over it if it was maybe £700 or so.
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Out of curiosity, what characteristics of the OM-D image is it that make it 'better' for you?
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I found it hard to compare them definitively because of the difference in exposure. Just because the two cameras show a difference in displayed versus actual ISO sensitivity doesn't mean that real world images from them will be lighter or darker than the other. It's hard to draw conclusions when an extra variable has been introduced.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Is it me or is the OMD not over twice the price of the Panasonic you are comparing it too ?
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For me it's not the Olympus output I find better, it's Olympus metering that nails exposure consistently. The latest Olympus bodies have very accurate metering and exposures especially in difficult high contrast lighting.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    In North America it's just less than twice the price. ~530 to 1k. And in fairness with the EVF to make them equivalent, the price difference is around 200$.