OM-D EM-5, loose strap lugs...UPDATE

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Are the chrome lugs that are attached to the body loose, can they be moved slightly when grasped between thumb and forefinger.

I spoke to Olympus Technical this morning, they were closed over the weekend.

After finally getting through to the thechnician that it was the chrome triangular piece 'attached' to the camera that was loose, his very succinct reply was 'The camera is faulty and should be replaced'

I am waiting to hear from Amazon as to who replaces the camera, them or Oly.

So, if you too have loose lugs, the choice is yours.
  2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Mine are like a rock. No movement at all.
  3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Oh dear :frown:
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
  5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Mine have some movement. I doubt they'd ever break or anything though.
  6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    My big rear top dial though, the cap just freaking fell off today. Ugh.
  7. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Mine are tight and solid.
  8. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Sounds like it time for a sling strap :) Seriously though mine are snug and they should be loose but I've been using a sling strap since I got it in april.
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There were a couple of episodes of Leica M bodies in relatively recent years where strap lugs were not well attached and bodies and lenses exhibited sudden, violent and very expensive susceptibility to the law of gravity. Hopefully the OM-D will not join that crowd. :redface: :frown:
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Made me chuckle. :wink:
  11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. I wouldn't ignore this.
    There was a sizeable problem with early Panasonic GH1 bodies whereby one of the strap lugs would fall off suddenly and without warning sometimes sending the camera crashing to the ground
    The lugs on those cameras were retained by a small nut on the inside of the casing
    The nuts were supposed to have metal locking liquid applied to the threads between the nut and lugs
    On many early GH1s the factory apparently failed to follow the correct procedures and put the nut onto the lug thread without the locking liquid and then merely placed a blob of the locking liquid over the surface of the assembled nut and lug thinking that the liquid which solidified would stop the nut undoing
    Unfortunately the liquid once solidified had no inherent strength and soon into the use of the affected cameras the blob of solidified liquid would break, the nut would quickly work loose and fall off and the lug would fall out - the camera at that point being supported only on one side by the strap around the users neck and the camera would sometimes fall to the ground with associated damage sometimes being caused
    There was quite an issue at the time with regard to Warranty cover by Panasonic, but they eventually covered such failures I believe.
    The manufacturing process was revised on later GH1s to alleviate the problem
    PS if you have an early GH1 and one or other of the lugs can be turned easily through a few degrees (should be fixed) then you need to consider a repair or avoiding relying on the lug
    I have repaired an affected GH1 myself but would not recommend embarking on this unless you are very confident and perhaps used to taking cameras apart
    Similarly any OM- D with similar issues should be investigated.
    Is there any chance of the moderators finding out about how the O- MD lugs are attached ?
    This does sound remarkably similar to the GH1 issue

PS the nut that duly fell into the GH1s was cause for concern re electrical shorting as mentioned in an earlier posting on this thread

12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Oops...I misread and thought we were talking about the actual rings in the lugs, not the lugs themselves. Mine have no movement fwiw..but I use a sling strap now anyway.
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Dave. We put a lot of faith in the strap lugs, so if they were loose I'd be very keen to get them fixed or replaced ASAP.
  14. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Need to see the picture of said problem, since I'm a bit confuse following the technical description. Would you kindly post the picture Dave?
  15. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The camera has been sent away, so no picture.

The lugs, one each side, are chrome traingular pieces attached to the camera.

It has a hole in it with triangular split ring fitted.