OM-D EM-5 image stabilizer focal length does not update despite an Olympus M4/3 lens is mounted.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Savas K, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Page 49 of the OM-D EM-5 manual reports that non-micro 4/3 lenses require choosing a focal length when engaging one of the image stabilizer options other than off. Yet, when I mount a lens such as Olympus' new 75-300mm II lens, the focal length is reported at 50mm. It's the same with mounting any other Micro 4/3 lens that I have.

The 50mm focal length seen is probably be a factory setting because it was something I had not noticed or monkeyed with before. I'd imagine that it would be a nicer interface if the focal length setting was grayed-out if a micro 4/3 lens was mounted; and enabled when a non-micro 4/3 lens was mounted.
  2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    The focal length you dial in is only used for lenses that don't communicate with the body. I like that it remembers what it is set to, since the only manual lens I use regularly is my 7.5 fisheye. I never have to worry about the IS, it's always at the right setting when it's turned on. I agree it might be nice to have it greyed out when a lens is communicating with the body, but I'm glad it doesn't constantly update with the current FL.
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-P1 does the same. With natives it just uses the lens info from the lens and does not update the displayed info on camera. Whatever last manual lens used is the setting displayed (which is the value I last set).

One assumes and takes it in faith that the lens and camera are on good speaking terms.