1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D EM-5 How to...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgregs, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Figured I'll start a thread to keep the forum clean :)

Ask a question and hopefully someone who has already had theirs long enough can answer it here instead of creating a new thread every time someone has a question about how to do something with their new camera

• Like Like x 4
  2. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Great idea! Maybe you could keep updating your first post by posting the categories that are on each page. Example....

Page1) Paw print on lens, Can't find battery, Dropped camera in ocean....etc...
    Page2) How to depress the shutter button, How to open the box, What does this thing do...etc...

It wouldn't take much but, it would make a thread like this very navigable versus having to read the entire thing from the beginning to find what you need.

Just a thought.....

Cheers
    Ed

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out how to get the colors of the out of the camera jpegs of my E-M5 to be the same as those of my E-PL1. It seems to be a matter of color temperature, but I don't know what in camera adjustments I should be making to my E-M5 so it outputs jpegs that have the same color temperature as my E-PL1 jpegs?

Specifically, in the example below, I want the white rocks in the E-M5 jpeg to be as pure white as they are in the E-PL1 jpeg.
    Do I need to adjust the two white balance compensation levers in one direction or another? Or do I need to adjust gradation settings? Or adjust something else? Both of the cameras are set to Vivid jpeg mode. Remember, I don't want to do ANY post processing. I want to know what in camera settings I need to make on the E-M5 to shift the color temperature a little more to the blue side to help make the white objects in the E-M5's jpegs more purely white (instead of slightly calamine lotion colored). Thanks alot for any suggestions.
    em5vsepl1.

4. mlapinel

mlapinel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    How do I stabilize during magnification?

Each time I half press the shutter button to stabilize, the magnified view on my EM-5 reverts to normal. This occurs with manual or auto focus, with native or adapted lenses, and whether I have MF assist enabled or not. Kind of unhappy because I was really looking forward to having a stabilized magnified view with long lenses. Is there something I'm missing?
    The same thing happens when I use the focus ring with MF assist- a magnified view appears, but quickly reverts to normal with a half press of the shutter.

5. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Goto the d menu lv close up mode choose mode 2

• Like Like x 3
  6. mlapinel

mlapinel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Re: Close Up Mode

Thanks!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Try Menu -> Gears -> G -> Auto WB Keep Colors Warm -> Off

DH

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks, I tried that when I first got the camera, but the manual says it mainly works for indoor incandescent lighting. And boy does it - the E-M5 has excellent indoor WB just like the 3rd generation Pens do.

I'll try some some manual WB color temp settings today. Incidentally, I found out via trial and error the Scene-Landscape mode produces a sharper default picture comparable to an E-PL1 - so you may want to try that mode for your E-PM1 if you want a sharper landscape picture.

9. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Will do! just gotta let this get a little more full before I do that...plus I'll be away for 3 weeks starting sunday, so hopefully when I get back people will have used this to keep the forum clean :thumbup:

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Some problems I'm having:

1. Can you use touch focus while you are recording a video?

2. Changing the dial buttons in video mode will translate over to aperture mode (very annoying)?

3. In S-AF+MF for video, I can't half press shutter to refocus?

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I don't think there is any magic bullet for this. The JPG processing for the two cameras is different. (My E-M5 doesn't look much like my E-PL2.)

The place to start is to take identical pictures with both cameras. (Same lens JPG settings and manual exposure settings.) It's best to have a real color chart, like the Macbeth, in the scene, but something pure white, grey and black will do. Use a image editing program that will read out the R, G & B values for any point in the image (Olympus Viewer 2 can do this.) For the white, grey and black patches, the R, G & B values should all be the same. The E-M5 will probably be better than the E-PL1.

You can try adjusting the AWB setting in one of the cameras to match the other. In the SCP the are boxes with "A" (Amber-Blue) & "G" (Green - Magenta).

12. latifron

latifron Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2012
    my opinion is just choose the best color rendition and the best iq.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I think I may have figured it out, at least partially, today. Mainly the contrast on the E-M5 (my sample at least) needs to be set to -1 or -2, (definately -2 for video) otherwise the jpegs look too contrasty as compared to E-PL1 jpegs. Also seems to help (in sunny outdoor weather to set the custom white balance to 5200K which seems to add a smidgen of blueness to the images to help make whites look truly white. I do this for three Picture modes (i-enhance, Vivid and Natural) and get good results (to my eyes). Seems to especially help the video produce natural yet lively looking colors
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rNGgPBy9M]Olympus OM-D Hand held Natural Picture Mode - YouTube[/ame]

14. Sioe

Sioe New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2011
    Hi guys, could someone help me?

Could u provide me the height n width measurements of the LCD screen? M looking to order a screen protector and require the exact measurements to have it fit 100%.

Thank u.

15. TDP

TDP Guest

The screen protector the shop put on mine is 76x52 mm

16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Is your monitor calibrated? If it isn't, then the only part of the universe where white is truly white is your monitor.

17. TDP

TDP Guest

Calibrate your monitor, then make a custom color profile for your image sensor using something like xrite color checker passport. Import the profile into LR, use it when you want to start at ground zero. If you do this, shoot in neutral and apply the color profile for your sensor all colors, including white, will turn out as they should be...then you can make them warmer or cooler if you want.

18. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    In my place is just about to launch this weekend, I wonder if dt art filter still inside em5?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3

19. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    This is not really a how-to specifically for the E-M5, but....

I've noticed the E-M5 prefers a faster shutter speed even in lower light than my Nikon V1. The V1 will drop the shutter speed to 1/15 before drastically raising the ISO. To keep the ISO lower on the E-M5, simply switch to Shutter Priority and go as long as you think is reasonable for your subject matter. Stationary subjects, I'll go with 1/15 sec due to the good image stabilization. So instead of the camera deciding on something like 1/80th sec and maybe 3200 ISO chosen by the camera in P mode in a dark museum, I can switch to shutter priority and set it to 1/15th sec and the ISO may drop all the way to 800, for example. I can get sharp images of stationary subjects with my V1 and I certainly can do the same with my E-M5.

Hope that's useful for some newer photogs. The reason I do the above is to keep the ISO low as possible in auto ISO mode so I can have better image quality. There's no need to use a higher ISO if you don't have to :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Yes it is if you mean DT as Dramatic Tone, Olympus also add more art filter: Key Line.

They already launch the OM-D EM-5 in Indonesia, I just got mine today from Oktagon, the last from the only stock. It's nice camera especially the fast 9 Frames.