1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D EM-5 Australian Stock thread, list prices and availability

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by joele, Apr 17, 2012.

1. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I thought it might be good for Australians to keep in one thread where we have seen Em-5 stock and how much it was...

DCW have it listed for $1,425 on their website but I am not sure on exact availability dates for the different configerations..

JB HiFi (where I am getting mine) are getting stock in this week at two stores, their Elizabeth st camera store (Melbourne) and Westfield Sydney, it is only the black and with the 12-50mm for the time being but was ticketed at $1,418...

UPDATE: JB Elizabeth St have stock now!!!!

I get the impression stock will be limited for a while yet...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bhupinder,

I feel the same as you about the prices we pay here as opposed to US prices but there are 2 factors you need to take into account, one of which will probably always result in us paying more than in the US.

The definite killer for us is population size. The ability to sell in bulk brings prices down and the US population is around 310 million vs our 24 to 25 million or so. Assuming demand is proportional to population, that means that Olympus will be selling around 12 times as many cameras in the US as they do here and that would be expected to bring the US price down.

The second point which may or may not apply is differences in import duty and sales tax. I don't know how US sales tax compares to our GST and I don't know whether they have different import tax rates to us, but I expect there would be differences. They could be in our favour or in the US' favour, but there will be differences.

There's also going to be differences in the exchange rate between the US and Japan and between us and Japan. Those differences are volatile, sometimes favouring one direction, sometimes the other, but they also play a part in pricing of imports both here and in the US.

Basically I don't think we can really expect to see pricing parity between Australia and the US and I think we'll always end up paying more. How much more varies from time to time.

Going back to Nic's post of the link to the pricing comparison of Australian stores, that showed DCW as having the best price for the E-M5 body in Australia. I received an e-mail from DCW on Monday saying they expected it in stock on 23 April, next Monday. I visited their Brisbane store yesterday and ordered a black body with the 12-50 lens and a spare battery. I was told they were expecting to receive 20 in their warehouse so I assumed that was 20 for the whole of Australia for DCW, and that I was one of the first to place an order so I would definitely be receiving one of that initial shipment.

Stop and think about just what that means. If a major interstate chain of stores, the one offering the lowest price so also the one you would expect to sell the most, has only ordered an initial shipment of 20 and they don't have orders as yet for all of that shipment, just what does that say about the total number of people in Australia likely to have placed orders at this stage for this camera with all Australian resellers? There may very well be a good total for orders for the E-M5 Australia wide at this stage if you compare the numbers to order numbers for other eagerly awaited cameras but I probably wouldn't put the total number of orders above a few hundred in Australia based on what DCW told me. That's not the sort of sales figures we need in Australia if the pricing is going to come down. Order numbers in the US are going to be much higher than that, in the thousands, and that can't help but bring prices down there, not only because the major stores are there buying in greater bulk but also because there's likely to be greater competition between stores there than we see in Australia.

If we want Australian prices to be comparable to US prices, then we're going to need to get local sales numbers that are comparable to US sales numbers and that's not possible when our population is less than a tenth of the US population.

4. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    It probably won't help when there are also likely more people in Australia buying it from the US than buying it locally.. lol..

The price difference isn't too bad at all though.. The kit I have from JBHIFI (well will tomorrow hopefully) is $1,418, in the US it is $1,299, add 10% GST to that and you get $1,429.. OK the Aussie dolar is worth more than the US at the moment but that is still damn similar in price.. Certainly not a case of us getting ripped off...

5. The strange thing is that we actually some of the world's better prices for the new Canon G1X - go figure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. danse

danse New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2011
    Just thought I'd let you know that I called JB Hifi at Elizabeth Street in Melbourne and was quoted $1300 with the 12-50mm when the RRP is $1499. So I went down and got it -the battery is charging I type. They still had 7 left in stock - all black.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bhupinder2002

Yes Nic and dont remind me again .My wife has been pulling me away from Teds everytime we go there lol..I am tempted to pick Canon G1X as I have a soft spot for Canon and G1X looks a very good compromise .
    For a change Pentax K5 body is for AUD999 which is a shocker and pretty damn good deal . I thought of picking it many times but GAS has settled down now .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have a feeling the average australian earns more than the average american.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Damn, that's the best price I've seen yet (assuming that I could sell the lens easily enough)! I initially liked the silver body the best but I'm now thinking black is the one to get. Decisions...

10. Bhupinder2002

Really? I will go there on Friday then .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. Get the E-M5 first, then decide if you want a G1X as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bhupinder2002

Yes thats correct actually and these MNCs know how to milk us as well ..lol look at shameless Apple .I remember there used to be a price difference of USD 1200 in Macbook pro prices and the best thing was that flight to NYC was around USD 1100 at that time . So essentially you could board the plane , visit NYC buy Macbook Pro and come back .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. Bhupinder2002

I dont think I will get G1X , I remain loyal to one system and thats why I decided not to pick up Pentax K5 . I am actually pretty happy with MFT and my friend's Sony a580 helped me to appreciate my EPL2 even more .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Can you make the first pic you take from this camera a picture of the receipt?
    :2thumbs:

Then we can print it out and use it to show other stores elsewhere...

Not that I'm getting one....

Not getting one..
    Not..

That's a good price but :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bhupinder2002

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. danse

danse New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2011
    No problem, but I'm new here so someone will have to tell me whether it's within the rules to post a pic of the receipt.

17. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just picked mine up from JB, awesome camera, didn't haggle on price it's already cheaper than DCW and cheaper than getting one from the US...

Really need the battery grip though, you would have to have tiny hands to use this comfortably...

18. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've been expecting to have to order the grip since I really prefer the large grip on the E-P3. I'll wait to try the camera first before ordering one, but I expect I'll be buying the grip and the viewfinder eye cup.

Why is it that buying the camera is never enough?

19. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I definitely need the grip, it is harder to hold than the ep3 with large hands..