1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D EM-1's EVF (and possibly VF4) - which mode?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamespetts, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    On the OM-D EM-1 (and possibly other models), the viewfinder comes in three "modes": mode 1, mode 2 and mode 3. Mode 1 is, in effect, an exact replica of the rear screen display, filling the whole viewfinder with the image and overlaying data on top of the image. Modes 2 and 3 (which are identical to each other in all but colour) show the image in a smaller space in the middle of the viewfinder, and the data area (black in mode 3, blue in mode 2, if I have remembered the numbers correctly) at the bottom.

My initial reaction to this was that it seems a terrible waste not to use every pixel to display the image, and that mode 1 was the only sensible option. However, on reflection, I have now switched to mode 3 (smaller image, black data area). The EVF on the EM-1 is so large and overengineered that not all of the space is actually needed for the image. I was quite happy with the size of the image on the VF-2 when I used to have one of those to use with an E-P3. It is actually far more useful to use that extra space to keep a clean image area, I find, and have the data displayed separately. Additionally, it is much easier to see the corners of the image than when it fills the whole of the EVF.

I should be interested in others' thoughts on this topic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Actually mode 3 duplicates the rear LCD. Mode 1 and 2 are the same except in mode 1, the bottom bar is blue, mode 2 the bar is black. I like mode 2 if in 3:2 mode, mode 3 in 4:3 mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I only shoot in 4:3 and use Mode 2. I really dislike the point and shoot style information overlaying the image mode. Mode 2 is like every film and digital SLR I had since the mid 90's.