OM-D EM-10 Overexposure

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cressersOMD, Sep 21, 2015.

1. cressersOMD

cressersOMD New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2015
    I have a strange problem which I think may be pointing to a defective lens but what do you people think.
    The general problem is that image is saved is greatly overexposed compared to what I see in the viewfinder.
    Using an Olympus 14-42 lens:
    at 14-20mm, all OK in all modes.
    at above 20mm, image appears OK in viewfinder but is either greatly overexposed in iAuto, P and S mode. A mode is OK, not accurate but doesn't overexpose.
    Using an Olympus 40-150 lens, everything is good whatever the mode or FL.
    I have reset the cameras settings in case I've changed something unintentionally. Changing metering doesn't seem to make a difference. OEProblem1.jpg OEProblem2.jpg Any ideas?
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Does this happen all the time?
  3. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Maybe something to do with Auto ISO (with a limit on it?)? Although it is hard to say how focal length should affect any of this (as opposed to aperture). Focal length can affect what gets metered, of course, but you say the metering mode doesn't seem to matter. It does almost seem like a defective lens, not closing to the correct aperture at picture taking time at certain focal lengths. Weird, for sure.
  4. cressersOMD

cressersOMD New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2015
    Pretty much, yes.
    I've only just twigged that the FL has an impact on this.
    Lenses came from my old E-PL1 (that never recovered from being in the Amazonian jungle) and I never had a problem with this on that camera, nor have I with the OM-D until the last couple of weeks...
  5. cressersOMD

cressersOMD New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2015
    Pretty much my feelings.
    I'll try setting the ISO manually to see if this has any effect but I agree with you, I cannot see why FL would affect this. I can see the S and A changing as I zoom but nothing significant enough to result in what I see. Am I right in thinking that the viewfinder should pretty much replicate what the image will be?
    Maybe when I get back to the UK I can find a friendly dealer who will loan me a lens to try, particularly if he thinks there's a sale beckoning!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    My guess is that the aperture is stuck wide open. The camera leaves the aperture wide open until the moment the shutter is pressed, at which point it closes down the aperture and takes the exposure. In the image preview, even with the aperture wide open, the camera will artificially adjust the brightness of the image to match the exposure you /should/ see when the aperture closes. But if the aperture blades are stuck open, during the exposure the aperture isn't closing up correctly, resulting in too much light coming through compared to what the camera expected.

Set the aperture to something like f/11 and take an exposure while looking into the lens. You should see the blades close up during the exposure, if everything is working properly. If you don't see the blades close up, that would be a good source of the problem.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Did your lens also go into the jungle?
    You probably have a brain-sucking parasite in there,
    count yourself lucky it's only jammed the aperture ...
    could get your brain!!
  8. cressersOMD

cressersOMD New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2015
    Looks like you've got it, Mark. Seems like the aperture doesn't close once the lens is zoomed a little. Not sure why it only affects certain shooting modes though. But when I get back to the UK, at least I know what needs doing. Lens service or new lens? Thanks very much.
    • Like Like x 1