OM-D EM-1 Mark II Super Hi-res Q's

bjurasz

Mu-43 Veteran
Just started playing around my new camera and trying out super hi-res shots, on a tri-pod, outside at my house. Also using my best lens, the 45/1.8. But I have two questions right now. First, the manual claims that 80M and 50M are available options but my camera only gives me a 50M option, not the 80. Second is, with one test shot already it seems like this capture mode would take too long for an outdoor portrait. Thanks!

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's 80MP for tripod mode (which u can downscale to 50MP), but only max 50MP for handheld.
the processing does take a while (be it tripod mode/handheld mode), u are correct, for portraiture, it can be quite challenging unless the model is really still.
hope that answers your questions

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
It's 80MP for tripod mode (which u can downscale to 50MP), but only max 50MP for handheld.
the processing does take a while (be it tripod mode/handheld mode), u are correct, for portraiture, it can be quite challenging unless the model is really still.
hope that answers your questions
I think OP is talking of the mark ii which only does tripod mode. The 50/80 issue is that the Jpeg is 50Mp, but the raw is 80Mp. However, the 80 is a bit illusory since there's really not 80Mp of detail there.

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think OP is talking of the mark ii which only does tripod mode. The 50/80 issue is that the Jpeg is 50Mp, but the raw is 80Mp. However, the 80 is a bit illusory since there's really not 80Mp of detail there.
oh yeah, i missed the title, thanks !

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Thanks everyone. All sorted out.
As others have said, you get a 50MP jpg and an 80MP RAW. As @pdk42 mentioned, many sources and also Olympus itself have found and stated that the detail in the 80MP RAW image is no greater than in the 50MP image. I do want to make one point however. I already started a thread on this forum about EDITING hi-res images.

If you use the RAW for editing (for the reasons you would usually use a RAW - restore blown highlights, for example), then you are working with an 80MP image, and that's the way it is. It doesn't much matter that the jpg is 50MP and has as much detail (although it is good to know, of course).

In some ways it is nice to get a 10368 x 7776 images out of the edit on the RAW (and if you save to TIF, you can get a 16-BIT result) as opposed to the 8160 x 6120 jpg. This is especially true if you have to do some cropping. I mean, these pixels are not illusory; they are there and that's what you get. As I mentioned in the other thread, there's no real point in downsizing them away!

Also, even if you are eventually going to get a jpg after editing the RAW, you are starting with a 16-bit image, and getting one jpg compression at the end when you save it to the final jpg. If you edit the 50MP jpg, you are starting with an 8-bit image (even if on steroids), and it's had jpg compression done to it from the start. So after editing and saving to the final jpg, you've done 2 jpg compressions on it.

So my feeling is that if you want the best IQ (the point behind using hi-res, I should think), you will start with the RAW.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom