OM-D EM-1 clunks when switched off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dsidote, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone else's EM-1 clunk when its shut off? The sensor is sitting off to one of the lower corners when the camera is powered off and then moves to the center when powered on. When I switch it off the sensor just drops. Is this normal? I understand its the IBIS but my EM5 doesn't do this.

2. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    My EM-5 does it. Has all along. Noisiest camera I've owned. Totally normal though.
  3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    yup both E-M5 and E-M1 not sure but I imagine its some kind a lock down on the IBIS so its not bouncing under movement when off and damaging it
  4. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Yes, mine does it. It's normal. I assume it's the IBIS mechanism parking itself but I don't know for sure.
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My E-M5 does make a noise when switching off, not very loud though. Also, I've heard you shouldn't have the camera on without a lens attached...
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Normal behaviour for cameras with 5-axis stabilisation. I'm not sure about the latest versions like the E-PL5 and E-PM2, but even the old 2-axis Olympus Micro 4/3 and 4/3 cameras had an audible process to "park" the sensor during shutdown.

A sensor is more likely to attract dust when it is activated and has a charge running through it.
  7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada

As the magnetism is drained, the sensor falls in the direction of gravity. And you WILL hear the sensor move around in the direction of gravity when off.
  8. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Thanks everyone. I was a bit concerned for a minute.
  9. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    My E-P5 does it but i never really noticed it in my EM-5.