1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

om-d e-m5 wtf? omg!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mirrorless, Mar 31, 2013.

1. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    I just picked up that camera in a local camera store. What a mistake that was. That camera was built with me in mind. I've seen the pictures and did comparisons to my GH3 before I bought it, but man, having that little gem in my hot little hands is something else! The lens (12-50mm) even has a motorized zoom which is butter smooth and speed sensitive. I love what my GH3 can do, especially for video, but THAT is a camera my friends. Now I see what all the hype is about. I pretty much ran out of the store, got out the calculator when I arrived home to see when exactly it is I can bring the new baby home. Middle of next week, can't wait. My GH3 is gonna be collecting some dust soon sheesh. If anyone is still reading and can answer...will it auto focus my Panny-Leica 25mm? If so, will it do it as well as my GH3? Are there any major drawbacks to using Panny lenses? Thanks.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Yes. You 25mm will work just fine on your OM-D with nice and fast focusing.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    There are two Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 lenses. One is marked DG, which works fine with both GH3 and E-M5. There is also one marked D, which is also a great lens but requires an adapter.

4. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Mine's DG, thanks for that helpful info. I understand both camera use the same sensor? I guess buying the same camera again is foolish, but for street, the omd just seems more right.

5. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Some people guess they are using the same sensor,mbut nothing is confirmed. You will enjoy the stabilisation of the OMD when it comes to video.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I am sure I read somewhere that the OMD uses a Sony manufactured sensor and Panasonic does not.

Sony sensors are some of the best on the market and that is while Nikon use them quite extensively, I am a Panasonic shooter but if the OMD price comes down I may just be tempted to jump ship, especially as I can use the amazing 25mm on the OMD without issues,

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Your PL25 will make an aperture chatter noise on your OMD that it doesn't on your GH3. Just thought you should know. It has never bothered me, and many others are fine with it, but it bothers some other folks. YMMV.

8. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    I never have this problem. :2thumbs:

9. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Anyone not happy with their GH3 is welcome to send it to me. ;-)

10. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Same here. The PL25 has never chattered on my OMD. The demo OMD/PL25 that I looked at at the camera store DID chatter, so I was hesitant to buy the lens. So far, it's been perfect.

11. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    No chatter on mine and it certainly did on my EP2 so it was the body not the lens.
    M

12. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Did some more digging, turns out you're right. Thanks for helping my case in support of buying the e-m5. I don't intend to jump ship, Panasonic has amazing stuff, but rather, add another boat to my pond. :wink:

13. The PL25 and E-M5 can be prone to chattering under artificial, fluorescent light. Trying them out in a camera shop is likely the worst scenario you could give them.