1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Wifi usage?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by feppe, Nov 8, 2013.

1. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

I'm confused about the wifi feature on the OM-D, how to turn it on, and its capabilities. I've gone through the menus on the camera, and haven't found an option to turn it on. The manual also doesn't have any "wifi" or "wi-fi" mentions, and only "wireless" is for the wireless remote. Google searches come up with plenty of passing mentions of the existence of the feature in reviews, but no instructions on how to use it.

I'd like the ability to transfer photos from my OM-D to my Android phone, mainly for easy sharing and collages. But it's unclear whether I need an EyeFi card, or if OM-D's wifi can transfer files without it?

So, where can I find a how-to on OM-D's wifi capabilities?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M1 has WiFi, but the E-M5 doesn't - unless you use an EyeFi or similar card.

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I can confirm that for the EM-5 you need something like the EyeFi card which with this we use it to send images to an IPad but there is an option for "cloud" storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

Hmm, too bad. Thanks!

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Olympus made a bluetooth module that might work with the E-M5. It was not an ideal solution, but it could be made to work if EyeFi is not doing it for you.

--Ken

6. robw

robw Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    i am looking at the OM-D10 as my switch from Canon DSLR. have held them and playd so know it will be an Oly... quick question, have you tried the wi-fi control for the 10? is it usable (indoors), easy to get to grips with? thats the one thing pushing me to the 10 over a 2nd hand 5 (dont need weather-proofing (or rather thats not a killer) but do like the thought of remote wifi control)...

7. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    Yes. From experience, range is good with line of sight. About 10ft to 15ft through walls.

The app is decent. It lets you make all adjustments (aperture, speed, iso, etc) and can transfer picture to phone. If you have the EZ zoom lens, it also lets you zoom in and out.

Note that Olympus currently only has the wifi app on iOS and Android. Nothing for computers.

8. robw

robw Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    thanks - would be using a 10" android touchpad as main - thinking of it for macro and also low-down floral/nature shots.... the lens would probs be the 12-50mm oly for the close up (not marco i know but better than the kit 14-42mm i believe)

9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I bought a sd card reader that I could plug in to my Samsung s3. Works great...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app