1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Wasabi BLN-1 batteries on Amazon

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joysmahal, May 28, 2012.

1. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    • Like Like x 1
  2. oo74

oo74 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Has anyone ordered these Wasabi batteries for the E-M5 yet? Instead of ordering the DSTE ones I am considering getting these. They seem to be about the same price - $30 for 2 batteries, and charger. Plus I believe Wasabi gives you 3 years of warranty.
    If you have these, please help with the following questions:
    1) Does the camera show remaining battery with these batteries?
    2) Can you charge the OEM battery with the supplied Wasabi charger?

Thanks

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the heads up - I had been waiting on Blue Nook to release.

I have had great luck with these on my Oly and Pentax bodies. I prefer the Wasabi charger (much easier to packup) and the batteries' runtime have been great. I think I can deal with the fact that battery level is not displayed on the E-M5. I mean with 3 total batteries, I would usually have a fully charged battery in the body, a 100% spare sitting in the charger, and one in my bag. Also, have been able to easily get through a whole day of shooting with the OEM battery and would expect the Wasabi to do at least as well.

4. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'm holding out on ordering until I hear some real first-person feedback on how they work. I'm kind of surprised that the Wasabi batteries say that they don't show the remaining charge. I think even the generic ones on eBay do.

As for your 2nd question, the Amazon page shows that the Wasabi charger can charge the Olympus OEM Battery.

From Wasabi BLN-1 product detail page listing on Amazon:
    "Note: Batteries are NOT decoded. Your camera will not display the battery's run time and must be charged with the Wasabi Power charger. Charger is fully compatible with the Olympus original battery"

5. oo74

oo74 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Thanks Joysmahal.
    I had missed that part regarding charging the oem battery. I believe that is important. I don't want to carry aroung 2 chargers... :)

Well.. I will go ahead and order it. Will report back once I receive it.
    Thanks!

6. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    I've had very good luck with the Blue Nook/Wasabi batts with my EPL-2, etc. Slightly higher capacity, nicer compact charger. Mine should be here next Wed. or so.
    I'm wondering if by decoding they mean it won't accept the EM-5 menu setting re: level warning, vs. actually not showing any indicator in the viewfinder at all? I can't say for sure, but I think the Wasabi batt's in my EPL-2 still displayed basic level of charge.
    We'll find out soon enough.

7. oo74

oo74 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I guess I was a little too late in ordering... Now it shows it is gone and not available from Blue Nook...

8. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    I am expecting the Wasabi kit from Blue Nook today or tomorrow.

Will then have everything, lenses, shades, filters, grip, adapter and batteries. All I need now is the damn camera delivered.

By the way the charger is supposed to work ok with OEM Battery.

9. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    Ordered mine on Monday and should arrive some time next week. I'll report back on them

10. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    GSP
    Try again, it's showing them available now.

11. oo74

oo74 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Thanks VisualFeast. I noticed that too, but unfortunately it will be in stock 3 weeks from today - June 22nd. The Blue Nook website says the same.

12. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I guess I"m an ole' stick in the mud. I NEVER buy 3rd party batteries. I want what the manufacturer designed them to do. Charge in the factory charger and show info as they should . I wish you all luck with those otherwise.

13. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Just received my Wasabi kit for the OM-D. Looks like good quality. All I need now is the bloody camera. Love the flip out terminals on the charger.

I for one don't intend to pay at least 10 times as much for OEM batteries, just to have fancy labels stuck on them. Right now the OEM Olympus are in short supply, I don't care about having the battery go dead with no warning, never did check my fancy Nikons for battery remaining either. Just stick in another. Anyway before long their will be tons of 3rd party batteries on the market which will be identical in all ways, some better.

I guess it's just a matter of what floats ones boat.

14. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Can anyone that received their Wasabi batteries report back on them?

Do they show the battery level charge in the OM-D? Can the charger really charge the OEM battery? How does the battery hold a charge compared to the OEM?

Thanks in advance!

15. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    They work just like OEM as far as I can tell.

16. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Does "Anti-Free Trade Amazon" ship those outside of the U.S., unlike most other electronics they won't?

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    :popcorm2: :smile:

18. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    The Olympus chargers have a higher voltage so some third party chargers cannot charge the Olympus batteries fully yet. Need to wait until they clone this new battery type. Some third party batteries also have less capacity. But, you have a bunch of the third party batteries to make up for it. Right?

(Edited: Corrected batteries to chargers)

19. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    My E-M5 already crashes regularly without using a non-oem battery. I don't think I can deal with adding yet another questionable variable.

20. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't buy the Wasabi brand or any other brand of generic batteries yet. I am leaning towards buying the Wasabi batteries though. The Wasabi brand on Amazon claims that the Wasabi charger can charge the OEM Olympus Battery. Also the Wasabi battery is claimed to be 1300mAh vs 1220mAh. According to the Wasabi battery image on Amazon, the voltage is 7.6V - which is the same as the OEM Olympus BLN-1 battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084FM5JC/?tag=mu43-20