1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Test OM-D E-M5 vs GH2 Dynamic Range Controlled Test

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Jman, May 8, 2012.

1. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I like how the responses are totally different on this forum vs. the same post on DPR.

The test is getting flamed ridiculously by sensor nerds.

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Yeah, I saw that. Eventually had to click ignore on a couple of characters.

3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah...that's because on this forum, we actually have people who care about photography than a bunch of numbers in a chart.

The one thing about DPReview...there are a lot of people there (my traffic from that thread is pretty high, though nowhere near the traffic from the reference on 43rumors)

I only had to ignore one person in that thread...and I got a little too heated myself at the beginning of the thread, but a lot of people over there seem to be missing the point.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It's really quite simple.

The OM-D EM-5 should be better. It's a newer camera with newer technology and is currently the Olympus MFT flagship.

Anything less (i.e. GH2 still "better") would be a failure.

5. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I still like this test and I would like to see more extremely taking something from shadows (+3-4 EV) not only recovering from hilights. I'm not sensor geek but I gladly look on tables on DPreview that E-M5 has same DR as my Nikon D90 :) 

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Did you look at the whole test? The last part of the test is 3 stop underexposure and shadow recovery. E-M5 is better here too, but not by quite as dramatic a margin.

7. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I was thinking more about whole scene with many colorful objects which is underexposed and then pulled hard in Lightroom....

8. BrankoD76

BrankoD76 New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2012
    GH2 has a terrible red channel noise, so when you shoot scenes with a lot of blue in it, you will get good photos in low light... that's the fact.

9. hoggdo c

hoggdo c Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA - SOCAL
    Wayne
    Hmmmm

Jealousy is a bitch sometimes! :biggrin:

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Sure is! But luckily, I finally stumbled across an OMD. So no more jealousy!

And welcome to the forum Hoggdo!!

11. hoggdo c

hoggdo c Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA - SOCAL
    Wayne
    Good for you I have Silver/Black Kit on order with OlyUSA. Hopefully I'll have it in hand in a couple of weeks, not holding my breath though!

Enjoy the OM-D it is a remarkable achievement by Olympus.

I bought a Oly 45 MM F1.8 today cause the local dealer had a zero sales tax sale and I couldn't resist...... :biggrin:

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My goodness, I just skimmed through the DPR thread. What a flog!

There are "good" sensor nerds at DPR. I'd point to physicist Emil Martinec as an example. Then there are "bad" sensor nerds at DPR, overwhelmingly in the majority. In that particular thread, exdeejjjaaaa is just obnoxious, but I find Detail Man (even) (more) maddening for his (inappropriate) use of parentheses (again and again) throughout his writing (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me even if there weren't so many parentheses).

:dash2: :horse:

• Like Like x 5
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    After holding off as long as I could from getting the E-M5, this dynamic range test and another shadow recovery test done by Steve Huff on the E-M5 (yes, the Leica guy! :eek: ) did it for me...

I developed a huge bout of GAS over the past week and finally couldn't hold it anymore and went out and bought myself a silver E-M5 with the kit lens...

14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Same here! I ordered one on Wednesday and got it yesterday (silver kit also but I will sell the lens). :biggrin:

15. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    You guys REALLY need to stay away from DPR. That place will kill ya. :biggrin:

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I plan on keeping the kit lens since it is the only native lens available at the moment that is weather-sealed...

17. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You will enjoy using that lens! I still can't get over how compact/small it is. But the important thing is how good the image quality, inherent contrast, and color rendition it is.

18. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    +1, a happy:confused:  GH2 owner.

19. ThatOne

ThatOne New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2012
    I love my E-M5 and see no reason to get overly interested in another camera for a good while. The desire to change cameras over and over again stems from a lack of faith in the photographer and a state of denial concerning that lack of faith.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm late to this thread, but thanks a bunch for doing this. Really excellent test.

That looks like a fair assessment to me. My question is this - how far can you underexpose shadows without losing fine detail on the E-M5? On my D700 for example, I can get away with around 1.5 stops of underexposure and still have some semblance of fine details after processing, whereas on the E-PM1, even 0.5 stops causes significant degradation. Thanks,

DH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.