OM-D E-M5....Sold.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    After all the heart-ache I had about buying one it is now gone....regrets, none.

A beautiful, well constructed camera with excellent IQ.

I think I could sum up my 6 or so weeks of ownership with just one word, FRUSTRATION.

Comparing it to my GH2 I could just never find anything.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's also how I'd sum up my past 4 years of Olympus ownership... :smile:

Heresy!

Have fun with the GH2,

DH

3. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Bummer. I hope the GH3 arrives for you with a sensor and frame rate to match the EM5.

For me the controls are much the opposite. I have no problems with my Olympus cameras, but once I venture past the levers my Panasonic cameras are a confusing mess. I can never guess where settings like the live view boost are on my GH1.

My EM5 finally gave me an Olympus model with a viewfinder and a nice grip, so I can finally sell my GH1.

4. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    do you mean the menu was hard getting around?
    i'm still thinking about getting one but haven't pulled the trigger

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I fully agree , I don't like panny UI but I won't get frustrated so easily and will never sell a magnificent camera like OMD just for UI. I didnt find anything wrong with Olympus UI .But again its a matter of how much comfortable one feels with the camera. Good luck with GH3 Dave but I doubt Panny will offer something drastically different but U will have ur fav UI ..lol
    Cheers

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's why I finally gave up on owning Olympus cameras. For the past two years I have gone through six different Olympus cameras and sold them all. I can't say that I didn't like them and have no real complaints about their IQ but they were all frustrating cameras to own. I was never able to find one that stayed out of way like my GH2 does (and G2 before that). When I shoot with an Olympus body I always feel like my attention is on the camera and not the task at hand. When I shoot with my Panasonic I hardly have to think about the camera at all. Everything is where I expect it to be and does what I want it to do. Of course everyone is different but for me the Panasonics are just a much better fit.

I think Olympus make a fine camera and would recommend them to anyone but it's definitely not the camera for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

???Kevin???I am confused now . I am looking at my Oly EPL2 sitting next to me and this guy is asking me what wrong he does? My answer is nothing wrong you do my little toy ..lol. Please let us know what exactly is so FRUSTRATING ?? I did find EPL3 UI a bit different but my EPL2 is simply beautiful and so was G2 .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I'm beginning to feel that my cameras have too many settings and displays, and that they detract as much as they add. A camera with a good sensor, lens and meter that will easily allow me to adjust aperture, shutter speed, focus, and "film speed"....what more do I really need? I need to concentrate on the composition, not all the icons and graphs on the screen. Just a personal opinion...evolving (or am I devolving?)

• Like Like x 5
  9. Bhupinder2002

Lets ask Apple to join MFT format then ..lol they will simplify things for us ..
    Cheers
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Something as simple as button placement or body ergonomics can be a significant thing when you're looking at very similar products. The OMD and the GH2 are equivalent products in many ways. The IQ is close and they each have standout features. In a case where the two products are evenly matched I think matters of ergonomics can matter a great deal.

Look at the E-PL1...the case can be made that it has the best IQ of any of the 12mp m43 cameras. I shot with one for about a year. I have thousands of shots off of mine and while it does have great IQ there is no way I would ever own another one. The slight edge in IQ is not worth it for me. I much prefer to have a camera that I am comfortable with. Is the IQ on the E-PL1 better? Yes, but it's not by much and I am willing to trade that small amount of IQ diifference for a body that is comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Let's see...how many buttons on my iPad? Looks like two plus volume control. Hmmm...that seems pretty simple. Good idea, Bhupinder! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bhupinder2002

I know,we all need to form a bond with camera actually. I love my EPL2 more than any other MFT camera . Infact this is my third EPL2. I am still waiting for my silver OMD but I felt okay when I handled it few weeks ago.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. Bhupinder2002

But then you might have to hook camera with iTunes to take a pic ..lol
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    There is nothing wrong with the E-PL2. I even bought them for my lab at the university. The frustration I am referring to is that whenever I use an Olympus camera I always find the button placement and controls awkward. It's just a personal preference. I think it's a fine camea it's just not something I like using. Of all the PEN cameras I've had the E-PM1 actually came closest to being something I could live with. The only issue I had with the E-PM1 is that it's a bit too small for my hands.

15. Porky4

Porky4 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Staffordshire, UK
    Well Dave,

Your loss is my gain (literally)! :biggrin:

I had the same thoughts about my G3. I thought it was technically a great camera, but compared to my G1, I struggled to find things on the G3 that just came naturally with the G1. The G3 is also too small for my hands.

Let's hope I don't get as frustrated with your camera as you did. :wink:

Paul :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, if you bond with it then it's the one for you. I think the OMD looks to be a terrific camera. Not too tempting to me as I have a GH2 but I tell folks that ask me to check it out. Folks tend to get really polarized with brand loyalties. People like what they like. The thing is that what one person likes may not be what another likes and I thin it's good to remember that if something isn't to your liking it doesn't make it bad. Cameras are tools to make images. I am of the opinion that if the tool enhances my ability to make images then it's a good tool and for me one of the ways it does that is getting out of my way. If that's and OMD, E-PL2 or an E-PL1 for someone else then that's the best camera for them.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like the Olympus cameras better, myself. By all the numbers and facts, the GH2 seems like it should be far and away from any of the PENs, and I'm inclined to keep it around for video work even after my EM5 shows up. But I don't have chemistry with the GH2.

Actually, I really love the GH2's body layout. It should've had front and rear control dials, but that's the only real glitch. The beefy grip is nice to have, and the flip screen means I can hide it safely away rather than having the screen get bashed around in a bag. But the JPEGs still leave me cold, and the screen and EVF both suck. I'm a little tired of thinking pictures didn't come out only to get them on the computer and find out they're fine.

I'm curious to see how the EM5's overall usability compares, and I don't expect it to be as good as the GH2. But I know the LCD is better and if the EVF is too, that is already worth a lot to me. Plus, I actually need weather sealing now.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Need a few neutral shooters to ascertain this one - I.E. ones that haven't been tainted by being a prior/current Olympus or Panasonic shooter :smile:

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    One thing that Olympus gets wrong, IMO quite badly, is the notion that customizability is a substitute for design choices. There are certainly cases where it is warranted, but they seem to default to a 'more options = better' approach. There are an awful lot of menu items that simply shouldn't exist.

Not that anybody does a great job, but Olympus is certainly the worst offender I've encountered.

A corollary to that is the necessity of having a reliable means to back up and restore your settings. When you can customize literally 200+ different settings it is imperative that you be able to save them all. The current system, where most settings can be saved, but some cannot, is simply stupid. It would also be very valuable to be able back them up off camera.

DH

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    so... we get tethering finally!?