OM-D/E-M5 random naming rant

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Linh, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Ok, this has been a small irk of mine... I keep seeing people referring to the E-M5 as the OM-D. Am I the only one who keeps cringing at this?

Then again, I cringe when people say I own an iTouch as well.

/end silly rant
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Not worth a poll but I admit to this foible early on but have now figured out that I should be using E-M5 although I still have not memorized exactly where the - goes and have to keep reminding myself. I don't use it any more with the EP3 and think I shall drop its use with the EM5 as well. :biggrin:

As an aside ... wouldn't the dash make more sense between the M and 5? Assuming that if they ever make a fully pro member of the OM-D line it would be an EM-1 and of course later on the EM-1x and of course later still the Mark IV EM-1x etc etc etc. :tongue:
  3. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    As far as I can tell, the "E" is for "Electronic", otherwise known as digital.

So Digital-Pen3 or Digital-M(OM?)5.

I find that they started on 5 kind of odd though. Did the original OM leave off on 4?
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Think 'Star Wars'. We'll be working backwards here. JMHO :biggrin:
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the cameras are part of the E it's E, dash and then the model designation.

E-P3 (for Pen 3) and and the E-M5 (Maitani 5 {to me that's the strange thing about reviving the "OM" moniker....Maitani has nothing to do with the design of this OM-D, but that is another conversation altogether}).
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Who cares, really? It is an OM-D. Says so right on the front. And whether you say omd or em5, I know what you're talking about.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This may be the first camera with a first and middle name!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    So the E-M5 will be the ultimate soccer MOM camera? ;)
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't see it differently than people calling their T3i or whatever number they have a "Rebel".
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Because, the next camera will say OM-D as well. I guess my annoyance comes from a support side of my work. People come to me w/ problems, and all they say are things like "I have a DROID" or "I use OS X" ok great... which one?
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, that's another good example, heh.
  12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The difference is that "Rebel" describes a line of consumer SLRs that go all the way back to Andre Agassi.

The OM-D, in contrast, describes a product line of one.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For now it doesn't call me which name people use, but I think it's a good practice to start calling it the E-M5.

At least when we need to be model specific we should be... but we don't always have to be model specific. I still say that I shoot with an Olympus PEN, but that doesn't mean the E-P1. Though back in the early part of 2009 the two were just as interchangeable.
  14. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't think it's a super big deal. Once Oly releases additional E-bodies (E-M7, E-PM5, E-MXXX, etc) people will stop calling the camera by OM-D. At least that's my expectation.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    For now.

Don't forget.....image is everything:rofl:
    [ame=]1990s Canon Commercial w/ Andre Agassi - Canon EOS Rebel - YouTube[/ame]
    • Like Like x 1
  16. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Until there is more than one OM-D model, I think calling it OM-D interchangeably with E-M5 is fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    We'll this is just me, but I'm going to call it "OM-D" until it's played the F out.

Outside of MFT shooters, I just say "Pen" or "Old OM", or "OM-D" and most people know what I'm talking about. No one cares if I have an E-P3, EPM Dawn or EPL1 multiplied by three plus four.
  18. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'll call it OM-D&G when I get mine lol.
  19. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Technically there's only 1 OM-D camera right now, the E-M5. I don't see a probably with referring to the E-M5 as the OM-D until it's successor comes out. If someone asked anyone on this forum if they pre-ordered the OM-D, I'm pretty sure they'll know what camera they are referring to.
  20. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    The Olympus UK web site repeatedly refers to the camera as OM-D.

E-M5 gets barely a mention.

Olympus - OM-D Bodies