1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OM-D/E-M5 random naming rant

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Linh, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Ok, this has been a small irk of mine... I keep seeing people referring to the E-M5 as the OM-D. Am I the only one who keeps cringing at this?

Then again, I cringe when people say I own an iTouch as well.

/end silly rant

2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Not worth a poll but I admit to this foible early on but have now figured out that I should be using E-M5 although I still have not memorized exactly where the - goes and have to keep reminding myself. I don't use it any more with the EP3 and think I shall drop its use with the EM5 as well. :biggrin:

As an aside ... wouldn't the dash make more sense between the M and 5? Assuming that if they ever make a fully pro member of the OM-D line it would be an EM-1 and of course later on the EM-1x and of course later still the Mark IV EM-1x etc etc etc. :tongue:

3. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    As far as I can tell, the "E" is for "Electronic", otherwise known as digital.

So Digital-Pen3 or Digital-M(OM?)5.

I find that they started on 5 kind of odd though. Did the original OM leave off on 4?

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Think 'Star Wars'. We'll be working backwards here. JMHO :biggrin:

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the cameras are part of the E series.....so it's E, dash and then the model designation.

E-P3 (for Pen 3) and and the E-M5 (Maitani 5 {to me that's the strange thing about reviving the "OM" moniker....Maitani has nothing to do with the design of this OM-D, but that is another conversation altogether}).

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Who cares, really? It is an OM-D. Says so right on the front. And whether you say omd or em5, I know what you're talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    This may be the first camera with a first and middle name!

• Like Like x 1
  8. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    So the E-M5 will be the ultimate soccer MOM camera? ;) 

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I don't see it differently than people calling their T3i or whatever number they have a "Rebel".

10. Linh

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Because, the next camera will say OM-D as well. I guess my annoyance comes from a support side of my work. People come to me w/ problems, and all they say are things like "I have a DROID" or "I use OS X" ok great... which one?

11. Linh

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, that's another good example, heh.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    The difference is that "Rebel" describes a line of consumer SLRs that go all the way back to Andre Agassi.

The OM-D, in contrast, describes a product line of one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For now it doesn't call me which name people use, but I think it's a good practice to start calling it the E-M5.

At least when we need to be model specific we should be... but we don't always have to be model specific. I still say that I shoot with an Olympus PEN, but that doesn't mean the E-P1. Though back in the early part of 2009 the two were just as interchangeable.

14. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't think it's a super big deal. Once Oly releases additional E-bodies (E-M7, E-PM5, E-MXXX, etc) people will stop calling the camera by OM-D. At least that's my expectation.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    For now.

Don't forget.....image is everything:rofl:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0xFJltVMU&feature=related]1990s Canon Commercial w/ Andre Agassi - Canon EOS Rebel - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  16. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Until there is more than one OM-D model, I think calling it OM-D interchangeably with E-M5 is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    We'll this is just me, but I'm going to call it "OM-D" until it's played the F out.

Outside of MFT shooters, I just say "Pen" or "Old OM", or "OM-D" and most people know what I'm talking about. No one cares if I have an E-P3, EPM Dawn or EPL1 multiplied by three plus four.

18. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'll call it OM-D&G when I get mine lol.

19. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Technically there's only 1 OM-D camera right now, the E-M5. I don't see a probably with referring to the E-M5 as the OM-D until it's successor comes out. If someone asked anyone on this forum if they pre-ordered the OM-D, I'm pretty sure they'll know what camera they are referring to.

20. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    The Olympus UK web site repeatedly refers to the camera as OM-D.

E-M5 gets barely a mention.

Olympus - OM-D Bodies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.