1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Quick(er) Erase?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dyobmit, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dyobmit

dyobmit New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello!

Is it possible to erase an image directly after taking it on an OM-D E-M5? That is, rather than pressing the playback button to review my images and choose which to delete, I'd like to just delete a shot right after it's taken and displayed on the screen. Pressing the trash button while the image is being displayed doesn't delete the image.

I remember there being a kind of trick to accomplish this on my E-PL1, and I got that working, but can't remember what that is, and don't see anything anywhere similar in the menus on my new OM-D E-M5.

Apologies if this is obvious. I'm new to Olympus and m4/3, and really enjoying the gear and the images I'm getting, but after digging around various places I've given up and turn to the fine experts here for a verdict.

Thanks!

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No. You need to see what you're deleting!

3. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    You can remove a click from deletes (on my e-pl3, assuming it's the same on most Oly cams). There's a menu setting buried down the bottom of the gears that changes the default answer from "no" to "yes". Takes a little tedium out of the process :)

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Had a dig in the manual - you still need to hit play whatever.

Gears menu H:
    Quick erase: one click delete (too easy to press accidentally for me!)
    Priority set -> Yes: still keeps some confirmation requirement but shorter process.

5. dyobmit

dyobmit New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm stuck with entering playback mode to delete.

6. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    My E-620 would allow you to hit the Trash Can during the 5-second playback just after you shot something. So it was only a one-button press deletion.

7. dyobmit

dyobmit New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

8. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I found a video about this on youtube. That guy use the delete button as quick delete function. But I forgot where's the video already. Dang!

9. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    Yes, it is possible. Go into the firmware (spanner) menu and set the 'Rec view' to Auto. Then if you shoot using the screen, the image you've taken stays and can be immediately deleted. Or you can scroll back to previous images.
    If you use the VF, it's not so convenient, because you have to hold the VF to your eye until the image appears on the screen. Then you can delete it (or scroll back to previous images). The time this takes depends on your SD card, faster cards take less time.
    If you take the VF from your eye before the image appears on the screen, you have to go to 'play' as before.

I'm not sure what happens if you have the camera set to use the VF only.

Rens