1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Pre-Order Strangeness from Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by EthanFrank, Mar 19, 2012.

1. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Hey guys. I have an E-M5 on pre-order from Henry's here in Toronto. I'm leaving on a trip to NYC in mid April, so to maximize my chances of receiving a camera before I go, I pre-ordered directly with Olympus as well, upon hearing that they tend to ship first. I pre-ordered with Olympus on the 17th, and today they've charged my card. Customer service over the phone has been useless - no one seems to know what's going on, and supposedly the office that handles returns has been closed all day (?). Any idea what's going on? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not too fond of the idea of ~$1300 missing from my credit, seeing as it will be quite a few weeks until I have my hands on a camera.

I have yet to hear of a camera dealer charging a credit card almost a month before they ship, and I don't see why this would be any different straight from the manufacturer. Between the fact that this has happened and the complete lack of service, I've lost a bit of confidence in Olympus today.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a pre-authorization to ensure that you have the funds available to cover this high-ticket item. The money will be returned to your account in a few days, depending on your bank.

Is this the Olympus America store? If so, then they will do this once a month until the order ships.

3. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Gotcha. At this time I've been on a lens-buying frenzy, and just went on vacation, so it was a very bad time for it to go through. I hadn't paid that particular card yet, so it will likely bounce. Yikes! All it said on the pre-order form was "your card will not be charged at this time" - had I known, I would have used a different card.

Thanks for the info, and I apologize for the tone. I'm not annoyed with you, but rather that this sort of thing is fine-print.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, they should be a lot clearer on their policies. :( Just so you know though, this policy isn't from Olympus or anything, but rather from the third-party agency who handles their online orders...

5. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Yep, agreed...showed up on my bill as OIC-Canada or something, too. I thought for a second that someone had my credit card info.

I'm going to try getting in touch with Olympus again tomorrow and get them to sort this out ASAP. I'll be cancelling my order with them, too, and I'll just hope Henry's comes through in time. I'm peeved - this is far too large a sum of money to be left to the fine print.

Thanks for all the info, Ned, I really appreciate it.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No problem, Ethan. I hope this gets sorted out well in your favor!

7. belowme

belowme New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2011
    i pre order mine from b&h the first day it was announced.
    and since im from montreal canada they already charged me.
    we'll that what they said at checkout..

8. LEOR

LEOR Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2010
    Pickering, Ont Canada
    I hope you didn't cancell your Henrys pre order

I also re ordered from Henrys but they asked for a $100.00 deposit which I gladly gave. My order was on Feb. 10th and at the time they said the expected delivery date was early April.
    Last week I inquired how many pre orders they had for the EM-5 and was surprised that mine was the only one in the Pickering store. Hopefully this means I will be one of the first to get it :smile:

9. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Leor,

I never made a deposit - you must have ordered in store. I believe online, they take your credit card info instead. Good luck getting yours soon!

I just spoke with an Olympus rep. Well, to be specific, I just spoke with 6 Olympus reps, each one said they were forwarding me to the sales department. They cancelled my order without any problems.

10. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    An update for everyone:

I spoke with Visa customer service today, who informed me that the ~$1400 missing was not because of pre-authorization (apparently Henry's did that too and it happened so quickly that I didn't notice - this is the way it should be done) but it was actually withdrawn from my credit. Put simply, the money is not there, it was been withdrawn as if I paid for the camera. This is contrary to what the Olympus rep told me this morning. I've called back and they have no idea what might have happened - I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me back. Even if she refunds the money within minutes, I'm still looking at 15 days to process the refund. What a nightmare.

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Refer to the post that M4/3 posted... I believe if you try to make a cancellation now and get action put on the transaction by the Olympus Store, that it will only delay the return of your money from the bank.

You Easterners are lucky. The stores out in this end of Canada (the Western Prairies) won't take an order without a 50% deposit. :( In my city, our only options are Vistek and McBains.

13. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Well, I let them keep my money. The refund would have taken them 3 weeks to process, so I may as well complete my order with them. They win. I feel scammed.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I still think the money will be put back in your account soon, personally. The Visa girl may have said it wasn't a pre-auth but some retailers put pre-auths through as a "purchase", so how would she really know the difference?

From the sound of the Olympus America issue, it seems these charges are going through as a purchase, so I'm betting that Olympus Canada is the same... and I wouldn't be surprised if they are using the exact same company.

Nothing you can do about it now, but I would wait a couple more days to see what happens in your account.