1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 owners...good news...I may have found the best eyecup yet...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Feb 27, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So, I'm sure all of us are sick of the junk EP-10 viewfinder eyecup that comes with the E-M5. I've lost...I don't know...3 so far? And the current one is garbage, the rubber is separating from the frame, waiting for that to fall off any day.

But, the other day I started thinking...if the E-M10 has the same EVF as the E-M5, then its viewfinder eyecup - Olympus part number EP-14 - should fit as well, right? Turns out it does.

Not only does it fit, after a week of heavy use, it has made no attempts to escape (EDIT: I've been using it for exactly 8 months now without any issues). As an added bonus, it's slightly deeper than the EP-10 eyecup that comes with the E-M5, more effectively blocking out unwanted light.

Here's what it looks like on an E-M5:

You can see it's curved/deeper than the original:

and

I'm hoping it'll be the solution to our eyecup woes! :D

• Like Like x 19
  2. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Nice! Thanks for sharing that :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I'm on No.4 ... so this is good news for me ... Thanks!!

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I don't see 'em listed on the Olympus USA site yet; the E-M5 and E-M1 are listed but not the E-M10 yet.

:frown:

I guess I could buy an E-M10 and keep the eyecup and pitch the rest of it...probably not cost effective, tho.

Lowrider, thanks for posting. When the parts pop up on the Olympus site I might give it a try.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I think I'm on eye cup #4 now. I "upgraded" to the larger E-M5 eye cup... which is a little too deep for my glasses. I did the electrical tape method for not losing it- the problem I have though is not so much losing them, as it is the plastic frame breaks. Anyone have any tips on that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    I waited until the rubber completely detached from the plastic and just glued it back with a few dabs of superglue gel. It's been rock solid ever since and the extra glue adds a little width to the frame which helps it stay on better.

• Like Like x 6
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Anytime! :)

Haha yeah, that's one option...I got it from a small store in Japan. I did a quick search when I got home and some stores are starting to stock in all over the world, so I'm sure it's coming to an Oly dealer near you! ;)

Yeah, I was thinking of stepping up to the deeper one, but it just looks way too deep (my camera baaaarely squeezes into the bag as it is, plus, I usually carry the camera in such a way that the eyecup would constantly be rubbing against my back), plus the deep one (EP-11, I think the part number is) is wickedly expensive...I think it's like 3x the price of the standard EP-10.

10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah, I kind of instantly regretted getting the bigger eye cup. I think it might end up breaking faster than the smaller ones, as it protrudes from the back of the camera, so when it rests in the bag, it get smooshed. I may give it the super glue strengthening though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    • Like Like x 1
  12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    With the way the OEM eyecup is made, this may be a cost-effective option. ;)

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    The thicker (EP-11) eyecup by Olympus is much deeper than the standard (EP-10) but this offers advantages to me, YMMV. I started using the deeper cup because as an eyeglass wearer I prefer to dial in the diopter correction on the EVF so that I don't need to look through eyeglasses on the EVF. The standard eyecup was letting in too much light so I opted for the deeper eyecup which resolved that problem. However I discovered some other positive and negative aspects of this setup.
    First, after testing the new eyecup, I just put a tiny droplet of super glue to one side of the eyecup and carefully placed it on the eyepiece and it will never come off now.
    Second, I discovered that the deeper eyecup also made the automatic EVF/LCD eye sensor works much, much better. No longer will my hand on the LCD touch screen auto switch to the EVF. The only way it switches now is if I actually place the EVF to eye level.
    Third, this deeper cup does block the top view of the LCD screen so you will have to adjust to moving it a bit more to see the entire LCD. If your looking straight at the LCD from the back it's not blocked, only if looking down.
    Fourth, attaching anything that requires access to the APC port will require you to hold down the top of the deeper eyecup. It's only a minor hassle on rare occasions.
    That pretty much sums up the pros and cons of the E-M5 EP-11 eyecup. In my use it stays permanenetly on my camera.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I must be doing something wrong. :eek:

The original eyecup is still on my E-M5. I used to worry about losing it, but it never came loose. Now I have stopped worrying - unless the eyecup on the E-M1 suffers the same fault :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    B&H has these in stock now. Go through the mu-43.com affiliate link for B&H (hey, every little bit helps I'm sure) and search for EP-14. Just bought one for my E-M5 and it should arrive next week if stock and shipping info are accurate.

I never lost eyecups on my E-M5 but I used to have the EP-11 that was super deep and awesomely comfortable. Unfortunately I sold it with my 1st E-M5. I've since picked up another E-M5 and will try out this EP-14 instead. It's in between the stock EP-10 and the deep EP-11 in depth so hopefully it will be more comfortable than the EP-10 while not obscuring the LCD when flipped out like the EP-11 does.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Any new ideas on this? I lost my eyecup last week, just disappeared! Need to find a new one

17. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Got mine in. I'm not thrilled with it. It's definitely deeper than the EP-10 stock eyecup but not deep enough for me. That's my fault though because I don't have a prominent brow, so my eyeball is still too close to the glass if I press my eye up to the EVF. Looks like the extended EP-11 is the only one that will work for my facial features, but then you get the problem of it obscuring the rear screen when you're trying to shoot with the screen flipped out at waist level. The obvious solution: plastic surgery :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  18. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Nothing new to report, except that I've been using it a LOT in the past month since I got it - I've shot about 1,750 frames in that time - and it's worked flawlessly. Hasn't even tried making an escape attempt yet (something that had been commonplace with the EP-10...I'd usually find it half off or hanging around in my bag, or at my feet a few times before I'd lose one for good). I'm also really liking that it blocks out so much of the light from the side, without protruding much.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

20. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

I know B&H in New York had them in stock last Friday also Henry's Cameras in Toronto.