OM-D E-M5 not focusing on shutter half-pressed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stpaul77, Sep 14, 2014.

1. stpaul77

stpaul77 New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2014
    Hello,

My OM-D does not autofocus upon half-pressing of the shutter button. I changed the focus settings (AF/MF/S-AF+MF, etc) that were assigned to different buttons, as well as shooting modes (M/Auto/P, etc) but did not help. I even reset the settings and used the camera in factory settings, but this did not help either. What could I be doing wrong?

Or is it that the camera is faulty? I bought the camera recently on amazon. I can return it, but would prefer not to if the community here can help me out with this issue. Thanks.

2. specialagenttuna

specialagenttuna Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    I had this happen once. Didn't realize I had moved the manual focus part of my 12-40 lens back so it was in manual focus on the lens but auto focus in menu. Check that first

• Like Like x 1
  3. stpaul77

stpaul77 New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2014
    I had indeed read, in a few forums, what you wrote above. I used to think, 'oh that's really naive; won't happen to me'. But that was EXACTLY the problem. Got stuck on this for a good couple of hours and boy, do I feel stupid! Thank you for your reply!

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It happens to all of us. Not to long ago, I answered a post about someone accidentally moving the focus clutch on the Oly 17/1.8.

It's just another one of those things that you add to your troubleshooting checklist when things like this happen.

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've had that happen several times as well. First time was a bit disconcerting. Didn't take too long before it dawned on me the lens had a manual focus clutch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.