OM-D E-M5 Multi Connector and cheap remotes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Crigstar, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Crigstar

Crigstar New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    Houston TX USA
    Tony
    For those on a limited budget and want to accessorize, this may be of interest.
    I have a new E-M5 and purchased two extremely cheap remote shutter releases for it. Both have the brand "Shoot" on them, and one was from Ebay and one from Amazon. One was a passive only, whereas the second had a timer for long exposures and sequences. Neither would work unless they were pressed in hard, and even then, just the focus would work and the "full press" shutter release would not unless the cable was pressed in really hard.
    I decided to check the connector against the supplied Olympus USB cable.
    The dimensions of the metal part of the connector was good in all three dimensions, and it was looking as if the recessed socket on the E-M5 might be a factor. And probably due to the splash-proofing qualities of the camera.
    I measured the plastic parts of the connectors and found that the Olympus was 7.38mm X 4.68mm, whereas the after-market ones were 8.22mm X 5.11mm
    It was just a matter of trimming the plastic down with a sharp knife, and I now have two functional remote release devices at a bargain price.
    The connector fits snugly now, and the tip might apply to other after-market cables and accessories you might want to connect to your E-M5.
    Are there any other connector experiences out there?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I've had no issues with bad cables, but all of my remotes (3 of them) use the same 3/32 to camera connector, and I bught a few spare cables in case one fails or is lost.