1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Mk I shutter stuck closed ... what to do?! :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by number17, Aug 23, 2016.

1. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Out of the blue, when I was trying to take a picture of my lab at home last night the shutter got stuck. I tried everything including changing to different lens, taking the battery out, upgrading the firmware, waiting ... nothing works.

Googled it and seems like it's not an uncommon problem. The camera is out of warranty (obviously) and to repair it would cost CDN$350 after tax here in Canada. I don't think it's worth it at all considering I bought the camera used for $550 2 years ago ... but this really sucks cause the E-M5 has been very good for me up to now, and then out of the blue it is just gone. :(

Anyways, I am just wondering what I should do next ...

- I can buy another E-M5 Mk I for ~ $350 used (same price as repairing mine)
    - I can upgrade to E-M5 Mk II, but I don't think I use my camera enough to justify that cost
    - I can also get a E-M10 Mk I ... I don't need weather sealing afterall
    - Or, I can go E-P5 and it's even cheaper

I do have a lot of accessories for the E-M5 (quick charger, additional batteries, extension grip etc ....) .. would those accessories work for the E-M5 Mk 2 or E-M10? If they do, they may be reasons to sway me to go in that direction.

This is literally the first Oly camera that just died on me ... what a bummer :(

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That happened to my EM10 I, it's sadly a pretty common problem for that generation of OMDs. I got mine fixed by Olympus Repair, cost me something north of $250. So that's an option, or just repurchase/upgrade. The EM10 ii is a pretty good deal for a nice camera. The EM5 ii has hi res mode? Or there is Panasonic world ;)

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Keep in mind the E-M10 uses a different battery than the E-M5. Much as I like the E-M10, you're probably better off with a used E-M5, E-M5 Mk.II or E-M1. All 3 use the same battery and have 5-axis stabilization.

4. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    Sorry, the problem is like this?
    IMG_0302.

It's my E-M1, what do you suggest to do? Repair o throw it? I tried to contact the Olympus Repair several times from July, but they didn't answer....

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Try thumping it on the base plate with the power on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    @pdk42@pdk42
    Sorry, I don't understand. Can you explain it in other words? Thanks.

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, the theory is that the sticking can be freed by a sharp blow in the vertical plane. So, torn there camera on and give it a sharp blow with these passion of tour hand on the base plate.

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, the theory is that the sticking can be freed by a sharp blow in the vertical plane. So, turn the camera on and give it a sharp blow with the palm of your hand on the base plate. There's little to be lost by trying.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    @pdk42@pdk42

IT WORKED!!!!! THAAAANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    Amazing, more than one month with Olympus without any answer.
    One minute in a forum to have THE answer. Crazy. Thanks again.

11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    mu-43 field repairs to the rescue! :2thumbs: Glad that Paul was able to provide the answer.
    Shoot a bunch of pictures and make sure it isn't going to reoccur.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    :) My fees are very reasonable! Great that it worked. I wonder if it'll happen again?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I have well documented this in other threads but I had that same problem with two of my E-M10's, both of which were under warranty, which is why I no longer have a E-M10. Knock on wood I have not had that issue with my E-M5.

14. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    I shot over 100 burst pictures and everything seems fine! :)

Don't worry, now I know what to do.... :026: :dash2: :dance3:

15. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Just realized the E-P5 doesn't have EVF built in ... so I guess I'm limited
    What did you do?
    My camera is stuck exactly like yours, and I tried hitting on the baseplate with my fist as hard as possible, with both the lens on and off ... and nothing happens even when my fist is all sore and red :(

Can you explain exactly what you did? Where did you hit? And did you turn the camera over when you hit the baseplate? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  16. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    I did exactly what pdk42 described in his post:
    When the camera was on I used the palm of my hand to hit the baseplate, not the fist. A well-aimed blow and it all worked out.

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I had sticky shutter in low temperatures with previous EM1.
    Try long exposure shot - like more than 1 second

18. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks ... where exactly did you hit? On the faceplate in the middle right below the shutter / sensor area?

Good idea ... let me try

19. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    Yes, I hit the baseplate exactly below the sensor.

20. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While hitting the bottom of the baseplate technique might work occasionally, and if the shutter is stuck obviously there is not much to lose, however, I would not be doing that with the lens attached as the jarring action might knock something out of adjustment inside the lens. Congrats to those who have tried this technique and for whom it has worked.