OM-D E-M5 mii and focusing on moving subject?

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

I am trying my OM-D E-M5 Mii and shooting planes (I live near an airport and, depending on the conditions, they (commercial jets) fly over our home), and I am able to do it, but it is really difficult seeing/acquiring the target. It is constantly going out of focus and the target (plane) disappears and then I have to try to find it again.

I have firmware 4.1, which I think is the latest firmware and have settings:

C-AF
Full-time AF on
Rls Priority C on
Continuous mode CH

Lens is an Oly 75-300mm

Do you all have any recommendations to how to make it easier to find the target? I am starting to wonder if maybe I should try S-AF instead of C-AF. At least that way, once I acquire the target it would stay somewhat in focus.

Thanks,
Jim

I don’t have much experience shooting aircraft, but when shooting action in general i have had good luck with release priority OFF so focus (on something, anyhow) will be achieved and Continous Mode CL so focus can be adjusted between frames.

Have you tried CF-TR? Tracking is pretty abysmal/useless in most circumstances but perhaps it might work with aircraft against the sky.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Select single autofocus, the smallest focus point, put it in the centre of the viewfinder, put it over the plane and half press the shutter. Easily fast enough for a plane. With that lens autofocus is instant. Billionths of a millisecond.
Continuous focus is suitable for movie. Sometimes.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
I will try both S-AF and the C-AF+TR and see what happens?

What about the Full time AF => on? Would that help, at least help so I can actually see the target instead of it disappearing?

I will try with Release ==> off, but my problem (at least now) is not missing focus, but just trying to see the target in the EVF, which is pretty disconcerting.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What is your distance to the planes?
If far enough, the plane may be at infinity on the lens. If so, you can manual focus to infinity and leave the focus alone.
The EM5-mk2 does not have PDAF, so AF of fast moving subject can be tough.

What is your position relative to the direction the plane if flying?
Is the plane headed towards to, at an angle, perpendicular to you?

Are you able to track and HOLD the center AF point ON the plane.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
What is your distance to the planes?
If far enough, the plane may be at infinity on the lens. If so, you can manual focus to infinity and leave the focus alone.
The EM5-mk2 does not have PDAF, so AF of fast moving subject can be tough.

What is your position relative to the direction the plane if flying?
Is the plane headed towards to, at an angle, perpendicular to you?

Are you able to track and HOLD the center AF point ON the plane.
Height is usually somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 ft. So I'm guessing that line of sight distance is probably about 4,000 feet.

Direction is usually kind of coming towards me but at an angle.

I just tried I have hyperfocal distance calculator and it seems like at 6.3 and 300 mm distance was about 700 ft? So the field is something like 350 ft to infinity?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Height is usually somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 ft. So I'm guessing that line of sight distance is probably about 4,000 feet.

Direction is usually kind of coming towards me but at an angle.

I just tried I have hyperfocal distance calculator and it seems like at 6.3 and 300 mm distance was about 700 ft? So the field is something like 350 ft to infinity?
Try it.
Set AF to manual, set lens to infinity, and shoot.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Pretty sure I read in the manual, auto focus works best for this camera... S-AF, centre small dot. Mine is blazing fast like this. Shocking really. Olympus auto focus is the fastest in the world. I saw a big banner in a camera shop, stating this only 2 days ago.
:)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom