OM-D E-M5 Mark III Firmware 1.4 released

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
All,

Firmware version 1.4 for the OM-D E-M5 Mark III has been released. I have verified that the WIFi connects now.. it also looks like it retained the custom settings that I put in when I updated to version 1.3

my guess is it will not retain custom settings if you are updating from a FW version <1.3

regards
Dogbert62

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Do you know whether Bluetooth has been working? Or is that still left to another future upgrade? I had tried it and it didn't work, but I wasn't even aware that WiFi wasn't working till this post. So maybe they both weren't working till now?

Ripley Reads

New to Mu-43
I also can confirm that the Wi-Fi is back. Some of my settings put in after 1.3 stayed. I had to reset the Dial functions for the modes. I like +/- on the back dial like Youtube Peter F. My Bluetooth has never worked. But, I have always been at home and had Wi-Fi available. Perhaps that is the default and priority. I'll have to try when not at home.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Looking at the fw-updates for E-M5III made me think that there has been 4 updates and only one of them might have been (can't confirm cos I'm not prepared to lose all my settings just for such a minor update) an update: In one of them the IBIS in video mode has been improved but the other ones are just basically "added support for focus bracketing for lens X/Y/Z". So basically zero interest from Olympus towards this camera.

Hopefully OM Digital Solutions will show some love for their best camera too. Could they at least add the "store settings on PC/SD" feature to it?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Firmware version 1.4 for the OM-D E-M5 Mark III has been released. I have verified that the WIFi connects now.. it also looks like it retained the custom settings that I put in when I updated to version 1.3
I upgraded to 1.4 last evening. I cannot get WiFi (or Bluetooth) to work (I could never get it working before this either). The Share app always tells me that there is no camera found. Can you tell me the steps required to get WiFi activated and working? I get to the scan place where you scan the QR code on the back of the camera with the phone. That works fine and it picks up the info and displays it on the phone (connections, passwords, etc), but then when I click the next step in the app it always fails, saying there is no camera found. GRRRRRR!

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
I went through all settings and it seemed to keep all that I had changed in FW 1.3.. with that said, I do not customize my cameras much. I did check an it looks like both the WiFi and Bluetooth are connected/paired.
RAH.. in the past, I have had to disconnect my phone from my home network before trying to pair to the camera. The easiest way may be to do the pairing away from other WiFi networks.

pake.. I agree that Olympus has basically issued maintenance releases for this camera... although I don’t expect them to add high end functionality like HHHR or improve AF (bird or starry sky) I would like them to add “ease of use” functionality like My Menus and the ability to save settings.

Dogbert62

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I got WiFi working with my E-M5.3. Yayy! I think it was failing because I had Airplane mode ON on my smartphone. Airplane mode is very confusing to me. I mean, even with it ON I can use WiFi to connect to the Internet, use Bluetooth to connect and control powered speakers (2-way, controlling volume via the phone or the speaker), etc. But Airplane mode appears to be the reason I was not able to connect with the camera and the share app. Anyway, it is working now and very cool.

It appears that the O.I. Share app is not able to handle Bluetooth. The camera's bluetooth signal shows up on my smartphone as a device, but if I try to use it on the phone, it says that "an app is required to use this device" and refuses to connect. There appears to be no way to get to it using O.I. Share (it doesn't mention bluetooth anywaahere that I can find).

Oh well, at least I have WiFi.

Another connection question - with a hard-wired controller (like a shutter release), does a headphone EXTENSION cable work (i.e. a cord with a female stereo on one end (where you would plug in the shutter release) and a stereo jack on the other end (plugged into the camera). I am just wondering if there is a way to make the chord longer.

Concerning added functionality, I REALLY wish they would add My Menus!! I want it, I need it. It makes life soooo much easier, especially with complicated menus as on the Oly cameras. Seems like it should be doable (no hardware changes, etc).

isin

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ioannis Sinadinos
Just updated from 1.2 to 1.4 and settings where not saved/restored. I bought the camera a week ago and I really like but there are some annoying things like restoring settings / wifi connection at home etc that hope to be fixed soon.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yeah, @isin I lost all my settings when I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.4 too. Annoying. Some of this stuff makes it seem like they rushed the camera out before they were ready. But, at least time-wise, we know that wasn't the case - we've been waiting for the E-M5.3 for YEARS!

isin

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ioannis Sinadinos
Yeah, @isin I lost all my settings when I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.4 too. Annoying. Some of this stuff makes it seem like they rushed the camera out before they were ready. But, at least time-wise, we know that wasn't the case - we've been waiting for the E-M5.3 for YEARS!

Totally agree with you.

Another thing that seems strange to me is that the camera actually has no provided accessories from Olympus. No leather case, no wrist grip. As you said, it seems like they rushed...

I really like this camera so I hope they will provide more accessories and fix any small issues.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Concerning WiFi and the E-M5.3, I reported above that I was finally able to get it working and that I thought it might be because I turned Airplane mode OFF in the smartphone. Well, I tried it again last night with Airplane mode back ON, and the WiFi worked OK with the camera. So, in other words, it wasn't Airplane mode that caused me to be unable to connect to the camera WiFi earlier.

The only other thing I did differently when I got it to work was that instead of clicking the "Continue" selection in the app to get it to automatically connect to the camera (this is right after you do the scan of the QR code on the camera LCD), I instead MANUALLY keyed in the address and password of the camera into the phone's WiFi choices and manually connected to it outside the app (the camera still showed the QR code screen). I had watched a YouTube video on how to do this. The phone connected correctly to the camera when I did this, and then back in the app I just started over and it recognized that I was connected and then I was able to use Remote as I wanted to.

So, in short, after the camera shows you the address and the password of its WiFi, connect to it manually in your phone instead of using that Quick Connect (or Setup, whatever it is called) procedure in the app with the scanning the QR code, etc.

Concerning Bluetooth and the camera, I think that there IS NO REAL BLUETOOTH. In other words, you cannot connect to the camera using bluetooth and use it as a bluetooth device WITHOUT USING WIFI. I tried all sorts of permutations and settings and was unable to get bluetooth working as you might with say a bluetooth speaker, independent of WiFi, even though the manual kind of implies that they are separate.

I found the following blurb in a DPReview thread about this:
"Well I spoke to Olympus support and apparently the BlueTooth is only utilized in the initial setup and to connect to the camera while it is off (if you have that enabled in the camera settings). Otherwise it will just "aid" (their term) in getting the Wifi to connect - supposedly to avoid having to go into the iPhone settings to actually select the Wifi network that the camera creates."

This seems to be true. It is too bad, because I understand that bluetooth uses less battery power than WiFi. I only want to use O.I. Share to use the Remote function, so I have no need for Internet access. I just want to communicate back and forth between the camera and the phone. Oh well, it is working with WiFi and maybe the bluetooth thing is helping it behind the scenes. I guess...

isin

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ioannis Sinadinos
RAH, i think that BT is not as fast as Wifi, but BT can actually power up the camera and view images straight from smartphone.
Although it is not perfect, I think it is still an improvement as you can have the camera in your bag (not on the desk, not having to powered on and then press wifi, not use both hands etc) and still connect and download images fast. Still the word of Bluetooth is confusing for all owners.
Same implementation is on EM1.3

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
RAH, i think that BT is not as fast as Wifi, but BT can actually power up the camera and view images straight from smartphone.
Although it is not perfect, I think it is still an improvement as you can have the camera in your bag (not on the desk, not having to powered on and then press wifi, not use both hands etc) and still connect and download images fast. Still the word of Bluetooth is confusing for all owners.
Same implementation is on EM1.3
The problem is, I can find no way to activate BT by itself. If you can tell me the sequence of steps to do so, that would be great. I would very much like to use it, but it has defied my best efforts to do so.

meredith

New to Mu-43
Bluetooth is never really used alone, only for the phone to find when the camera is nearby and then jump over to camera wifi, without the camera having to spend the battery power of running wifi all the time.

After you've paired the app the first time, you can set Setup (Wrench) -> Wifi/Bluetooth Settings -> Power-off Standby, and now when your camera is off (sadly not eco-mode standby, off), you can open the phone app. The phone app should should have the bluetooth icon lit at the bottom, and you can use Import Photos without turning on the camera - it will use bluetooth to nudge the camera and wake it enough to turn on its wifi and connect your phone to that. You can browse images and pull them to your phone.

If you additionally go to the app Settings (Cog) -> Import Photos -> Enable Service of Automatic Import, then when the app is not open in the foreground, it will occasionally check for the camera nearby and download any photos you have flagged for Share on the camera. It usually does this in a minute or two, the orange light on the rear flashes when doing any of these standby mode operations.

Sometimes the background service for this gets stopped on my android phone, and I just have to open the app once and leave to get it back. I think it also sometimes has trouble with wifi screen-off power saving settings on the phone, and gets its work done when I wake the phone up.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
OK, thanks @isin and @meredith , this confirms what I have been saying, that you cannot just use the BT without the WiFi. However, this has helped me see the additional utility for transferring files, etc. I am not too interested in this, and mainly wanted to use the phone as a controller via Remote, which seems to require the WiFi (perhaps augmented by BT). Anyway, thanks!

I do think that Oly (or JIP, I guess) should make it so that BT can be used alone, at least for remote control. I mean, why couldn't it be? As I've said, from what I have read, BT uses less battery than WiFi. Also, of course, they should make it so that the E-M5.3 can be tethered! What's up with that inability?!? I'm hoping that can be fixed via a firmware update.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was at v1.2 and thought of skipping it. But read that v1.3 contained something that looked interesting. So today I upgraded. Went well.

Some notes though:

- In OI Share app it is not possible to backup settings, for this body :(
- Settings (everything incl WiFi) got reset. But no problem, don't have so many anyway.
- I noticed a High-Res icon under the drive mode menu, furthest to the right. Don't think it was there before!? Because I use to scroll to custom timer with one click to the left from the furthest left item to get to custom timer. But that didn't work now :)

Have done some test shots, setup wifi again. System nominal.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
- I noticed a High-Res icon under the drive mode menu, furthest to the right. Don't think it was there before!? Because I use to scroll to custom timer with one click to the left from the furthest left item to get to custom timer. But that didn't work now :)

I'm on v1.0 and HiRes is the last icon. But you can choose which icons are in that quick menu so maybe you had previously hidden it...?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Still on V1.2 and have no issues with connecting or using OI Share with my E-M5 Mk3. Not even considering updating firmware at this time.
I was only going by what the original post said - "I have verified that the WIFi connects now," implying that it didn't work before the upgrade. I had never tried it until now with 1.4. I will reset back to 1.2 just to try it out; hold on, wait... :dance4:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom