OM-D E-M5 mark II - First impressions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Hi everyone,

I've been playing with the new E-M5 II lately. You can read the first part of my full review here:

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/0...mark-ii-review-chapter-whats-new-whats-great/

My thoughts so far:

High Res Shot

It gives you terrific details but is limited to certain applications. Even the slightest movement in your scene can be a problem. So It works for still life shots, cityscapes shots or landscape shots if there isn't any wind. It is a nice feature for a micro four thirds camera but personally I don't think I would use it a lot in my daily workflow. I rarely need that amount of mp (64mp with the RAW file).

5 axis stabilisation

For stills it's even better than with the E-M1. If you manage to hold still enough, then you can shoot at 1s hand held. I even managed to get sharp shot at 2s. For video, it can give you great results that almost look like steadicam shots. There are some small issues that you have to be aware of such some warping/jello effect and some sudden sideways shift when the stabilisation reacts to abruptly. But with the necessary attempts, you can really get nice results.

Movie mode

I can say that "finally" Olympus gets more serious about video. I guess you already know the different specs. The quality of the video files isn't immediately visible if you compare it to the E-M5 or E-M1. The quality is overall improved thanks to more settings and options (frame rates, compression, etc). You also get more sensitivity (up to 6400 ISO). However I don't find it as good as Lumix cameras (from a simple perception point of view, I have yet to compare that). You also get a 4:2:2 HDMI output.

For the rest:
    • electronic shutter (finally)
    • same AF system as the E-M10 and same overall IQ as the E-M10/E-M1: no AA filter and same TruePic VII engine
    • nice ergonomics with more Fn buttons
    • you need the new HDL-8G landscape grip in order to use the battery grip (the old HDL-6 landscape grip is not compatible).

Feel free to ask me any questions. ;)

• Like Like x 13
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think the bigger thing about the high res mode is truer color fidelity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    thank you for your review.

Just one question - are you sure there's no AA filter? I couldn't seem to find any info on that subject regarding both the EM5 II and the E-M10 (different opinions on the E-M10, some seem to say it has it, but a rather weak one, which is not the case for E-P5 and E-M1).

4. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Funny, I just came here to ask this question too. If it really doesn't have a AA filter, this camera becomes a no brainer for photographers that dabble in both video and still.

5. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    That's what Olympus told me. To me it also make sense. The first OM-D without AA filter is the E-M1 because the TruePic VII engine can deal with moiré alone. The E-M10 and the E-M5 II have the same processor engine. So if the engine can deal with moiré and therefor there isn't the need for an AA filter, why keep it on the sensor? I guess no AA filter might also be better for the High Res Shot function.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    When I rented the EM1 one of the nice features (compared to my G6) was the ability to exceed sync speed when using 3rd part flashes (Youngnuo). This allowed me to exceed sync speed and use the YN at full power with its long burn. On the G6, if I attach a dumb flash, the camera won't go faster than sync speed.

Does the EM5 II allow you to exceed sync speed when a dumb flash (trigger) is connected?

7. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Great review and beautiful photos Mathieu. Always interesting to read you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I don't own Yunguno flashes and triggers. But with the my Nissin i40 I can sync up to 1/8000s.

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Hi,

You mentioned in movie mode the video looks better than in the past and not as good as Panny's video. What Panny cams are we comparing it to? GH4? GH3? G6? etc - I currently have a G3 and am looking to upgrade, but would love to have the 5 axis to steady my lenses. Would you say this is on par with the Panny G3 video or?

TIA,

Ken

10. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I would say the GH series mainly so GH3, GH4. It's not just a question of pure IQ but overall settings and options for video. But the E-M5 II can certainly satisfy many people for video purposes and its IBIS makes a difference.

As for the G3, I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure that the E-M5 II is better overall.

11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Right. Unfortunately the i40 is m43 compatible flash , so it understands HSS and the camera can recognize that. Your flash is too good for me. :) I'm wondering how it works when it gets a maual flash attached. I appreciate the response and your willingness to answer questions.

12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    That is good to know. As long as it's better than what I have then it's fine. GH4 quality would be nice, but I'd rather have my lenses stabilized and be able to do moving shots. Many thanks for your opinion.
    Looking forward to the official review along with Panasonic will announce if anything.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    What battery does it use? The Oly specs refer to two different batteries.

14. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Same as the E-P5/E-M5/E-M1, the BLN-1 I believe. Jamie McDonald, one of the Olympus Trailblazers, does an open box video and puts in one of his old batteries b/c it's already charged.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. There is a reference on the Oly site to a different battery. Good to know they kept the BLN-1 for those who are using the original M5 and/or the M1.

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Hi Matt, thanks for joining us. Does that mean it can do silent shooting?

[edit: Okay, I found the answer on your blog entry, the answer is 'yes'. Excellent!]

17. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Also for Matt -- what country is the body manufactured in?

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm on a roll -- It would be nice (or potentially useful), if one could shoot a 40MP and a 16MP frame in rapid succession, with a view to possibly combining them to eliminate any motion artefacts in the high-res image by superimposing the relevant 16 MP areas, at home in PP.

Can the M5 II accommodate this in any way, shape or form?

19. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Search on Youtube for Jamie McDonald's open boxing video. He demonstrates this feature. Completely silent (aside from the aperture blades closing if you anything other than wide open). I'm glad Olympus finally adapted to it. I love it in my GX7 currently, but it only has basic IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I read somewhere that you get the 8 raw frames used in the final high res too. That should allow you to manipulate any artefacts. Can't remember exactly where I read it but iirc it was one of the links on the u43rumour page. Could be misinformation though. But, if it's the case, I guess you could do your own stacking too in whatever software you want if you're not happy with in-camera results. I can't wait to see more reviews on this feature.