1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 main dial

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photogirl101, Nov 8, 2012.

1. photogirl101

photogirl101 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010
    ARUBA
    GRETCHEN
    The main dail of my Olympus OM-D E-M5 is loose. How can I fix it? Any suggestion?

2. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Which dial is the main dial? and what do you mean loose, does it still hold at the detents or does it just spin freely?

3. photogirl101

photogirl101 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010
    ARUBA
    GRETCHEN
    The big dial on rhe right side next to the shutter telease button. It just came off.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    This has happened to few people here, best solution is send it to olympus as re-attaching yourself may void warranty and could compromise weather sealing of camera. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, hopefully olympus turn around tine won't be to long.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would probably have just glued it back on (crazy glue or modeling glue), being careful to keep the glue off the electrical contacts and just on the broad plastic surfaces. I can't afford any camera downtime. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    same here. just get some rubber based compound and call it a day.

i would be shocked it gluing it back on had any ill effects

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unless, of course, the camera ever needs a more significant repair, and Oly can't disassemble it because you superglued it together...

8. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Unless you are replacing that dial, there is not going to be any reason to pull the dial apart. The dials are mounted within the top panel, and looking from images of the top of the dial off there are no screws within to use.

So lets assume the shutter button stops working, and they have to take it apart and the dials and shutter are all on the same internal board. As long as you just glue it on carefully they probably wont have any issue popping it off or even noticing that it was glued on. That is assuming you do a better job gluing than my 5 year old who tends to use entire glue-sticks on one spec of glitter.

or you can use a small piece of double sided thin foam tape to put it back on, then if anything else goes wrong you can pull that off and send it in for warranty on both items.

But I would put the chance glue ever causing an issue around 1000:1

Im going to go ahead and state that Olympus's "FIX" for this is to just glue it on. Ill send $20 paypal'ed to anyone who can verify this one way or another.

:smile:

E-M5-insitu-2.

WP_000120.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just strikes me as foolish to jeopardize the warranty that you paid for as part of the $1000 the body cost. If you don't care be my guest and throw money out the window, I can't afford to.

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Make them fix it

Enough warranty repairs and Oly will have to make a rev to stop the bleeding.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That should never happen to a £1000 camera in the first place! :frown:

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This would be true some years ago... but I think more than anything that this shows the state of the consumer world and not that of our little photographic ecosystem. I am continually amazed by the cheaply manufactured junk that they actually make you pay money for in retail stores these days, and am always shocked by just how many times I have to return goods (of every kind) before I find a "good copy". It is more true than ever the old adage, "They don't make things like they used to".

13. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I think it is sort of rude to call people foolish. :confused: This is a camera, it is a tool. I am in no way worried that would cause any problem with the warranty anyway.

with as hard as i am on my cameras it will be lucky to last a year anyway, the shutter will probably be long destroyed or the rain will have soaked through its weather sealing. I dont abuse my cameras but i dont keep them locked in a pelican case with a velvet interior either

when it dies i buy another one. :thumbup:

I dont have much interest in being without it for 2 weeks while Olympus glues the cap back on. it makes more sence to me to just glue it rather than send it out, wait 2 weeks, shoot for 2 months, have the cap fall back off, send it back out, wait 2 weeks, so on and so forth.

14. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    This I agree with. hopefully the OMD replacement will not have this problem

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    What are you guys doing to your cameras to cause this?

Six months on both of my E-M5s are still good.

16. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Oh, a little prising here, a little smashing there...

What? You mean I'm not supposed to gnaw on it?

I'll have to pass that on to the dozen other people here who have had this issue. :)

17. I'm just a bit curious to know whether this is a problem inherent to the E-M5 or a problem that has come about through changes in the production process to meet demand. Has anyone who received a fresh, firmware v1.0 E-M5 back in April or May 2012 experienced this same problem?

18. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    In my opinion, sending to Olympus for this specific problem is a bad use of time. It will take them weeks just to administer epoxy and send it back.

I glued mine back on with super glue and it's been strong since July - no signs of play, so I'm confident that it's attached.

19. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    From my experience it takes less than 2 weeks which is not half bad. The way they package the camera is another issue though...