1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 instead of Fuji X100s?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello guys!

I previously owned a little m43 system based on an Oly E-P2 and Panny G3.
    I sold all and went Fuji. I now own both X100 and X-E1 with XF18 and XF18-55 lenses.

I have had the X100s on preorder for some time now. My initial thought was to have it as companion to my X-E1 as they give similar image output due to X Trans sensor and got similar kind of handling which I am now used to.

My thought is to trade in the X100 for the X100s. Faster AF than X100, better in lowlight etc.

But then it hit me again - there is alway m43!

My second thoughts now are:

- I already own the X-E1 which I can continue to use for example in low light situations due to its very good high ISO capabilities; and I got the XF18 which if kind of a pancake-like lens which makes the camera quite compact (don't need the X100/s for this then)

- The OMD got some weather protection and due to the 2 times crop factor and AF speed it's good for wildlife which I occasionally want to do

My questions to you guys (to make me change my order from X100s to OMD):

- I've become kind of spoiled with the Fuji IQ; colors, lowlight, high ISO etc. How does the OMD IQ compare? I have only the experience from E-P2 and G3 to relate to. The Fuji jpgs gives stunning images, kind of film like photos. Does the OMD images feel digital in comparision? I would like to archive film like kind of images, is this possible with the OMD?

- How is the handling of the OMD? The thing that I really love which the Fuji X cams are the aperture ring on the lenses, the shutter dial and exp dial on the top plate. Can you set up the two top dials on the OMD to behave like on the Fuji X cams to get the same kind of handling?

- High ISO limit on the OMD? What do you guys consider the highest acceptable ISO setting on the OMD? With the X-E1 I can accept ISO 6400 in some cases, especially in monochrome.

- Could the OMD be a good complement and companion to my X-E1? Can the m43 be a complement to the Fuji X system?

These are some of my questions. I am actually considering a return to the m43 system maybe as a complementary system to my existing Fuji X kit.

Please help me to think clearly on this. I would like to solve this before my preorder arrives at the shop. They also have the OMD and m43 gear so I could trade to whatever system I want.

My goal with my photography

Sometime lowlight inside, stealth. Sometimes wildlife and nature. I'm an everyday photographer. I alway carry a camera on me, I feel naked without. I photograph life. People, animals (my cats...), places.

Do you belive than an OMD would serve me better, as I already have the X-E1, than an X100s based on what I've written here this far?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've used the XE1 with kit lens (and the XPro 1) and the OMD and currently have the EPL5.

I didn't find a huge difference between the XE1 with kit lens and my EPL5 with prime lenses. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but it's all I can comment on. I was looking for "magic" from the Fuji, but didn't find that. So, I keep a full frame DSLR (Canon 6D), which in my tests was better than the Fuji, and m43 for super-compactness. I like to have a big rig, along with the small camera, so this is ideal for me.

When I had the OMD, I have to say it was one of the easiest cameras to manage I have ever used. Easier even than my 6D. The Fuji is the same, but different, to the OMD. They are both really easy to use, but in a totally different way. Not just the placement of the rings, but the whole idea that the OMD has a "mode" dial, whereas the fuji is really a manual camera with "A" settings for either aperture or shutter speed.

One thought might be -- because they are different, you could possibly enjoy having something different to shoot with OR you could find yourself frustrated with having to mentally shift from one body to the other. I think that's a personal preference thing.

The OMD/EPL5 and new m43 sensor is miles better than the EP2. No more fear of post production. Recoverable highlights and shadows. Great high ISO up to 3200 (I think the Fuji gets one more stop to 6400, but at high ISO, I didn't think the fuji provides any more detail than my EPL5). The one thing I did note on my EPL5 was colors in RAW were not to my liking. I used the huelight profiles for the EPL5, and they are great now. If you are a jpg shooter, then not to worry. The Oly jpg engines produces great colors. It was the RAW where the reds were a little too orange for me (corrected with the above mentioned profiles in LR).

Hope that helps in someway. I don't think you can go wrong with either camera. Much of it will be a personal decision, but if you are after wildlife shots, faster surer AF, and more lens selection, then the OMD might be a good choice. Also, if this important to you at all, if you add the grip and flash, it's a very nice larger-rig, for the occasions you want something meatier.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    It makes more sense to me to replace the X-E1 kit with an E-M5, and supplement that with the X100S. :) That way, you still get to use an X-trans sensor at the FL you seem to like for great low-light pictures, plus you have an interchangeable lens kit that's smaller, handles better (opinion), and is very nearly as good as the X-E1 in all other respects.

To answer your specific questions:

The Olympus JPEG engine is second to none for colour and rendering; whether you prefer it to the XE1 is a matter of taste. EM5 RAW is better supported by third party software than is the XE1 (although I think the latest from Adobe might make this a wash), so PP is generally easier with the Oly.

The two dials provide the same level of control as found on the XE1 when one of its parameters (aperture, shutter speed) is set to Auto. That said, a lot of people don't use exposure comp in full manual, so you might only need aperture and shutter speed anyway--in which case the two dials will meet your needs.

Other than that the handling is generally excellent--it's a very responsive camera and is much faster to AF than the X-E1. The only downside is the ergonomics; some people find it a bit cramped. Others, like me, have no issues with the size.

The EM5 is generally comparable to the XE1 at one stop higher ISO, so if your max is 6400 on the XE1 you'd probably want to stay at 3200 on the EM5. And in some situations, the EM5's industry-leading IBIS would help to keep the ISO lower than on the XE1.

Like I said above--you might find it's a better replacement for the X-E1, especially if you're interested in the X100S. There are a lot of other advantages to m43: the lens selection is wider, lenses are smaller but generally the equal of XF lenses at the upper end (e.g. the Panasonic/Leica and Zuiko primes), and there are two companies producing ever-better bodies on a regular basis.

Anyway, HTH!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    If I go the OMD route I am thinking about trading like this:

I'd keep the X-E1 (which I now have two lenses for: XF18 and XF18-55); in the same trade I'll add XF35 f1.4

I'll get the OMD with battery grip and one of the long zoom lenses as the intention would be to use the OMD out in the wild.

I think I would like to keep the X-E1 as I like the XF lenses, I would like to add the XF35 in the same trade.

I'll trade in the X100.

Keep your tips coming, they are helping me a lot :smile:

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have both the OM-D and the X-P1.

I shoot a ton of low light. 3200 for the OM-D is a walk in the park. The two cameras are very different. One is like a sports car, responsive, quick great in the turns but not a super-comfy ride. The other is like a luxury sedan, inviting interior, soft ride, lots of room, soft seat, super comfy ride.

GRAA0067-XL.
    OM-D, ISO 12,800, w/ Oly 15mm (the Lens Cap, a $49 MSRP lens).

GRAB0113.
    OM-D, ISO 3200, w/P45-200

GRAB0414.
    OM-D, ISO 3200, w/P45-200

GRA20087-L.
    OM-D, ISO 1600, w/ O45mm @ 1/6 - IBIS is wonderful

GRAA0578.
    OM-D @ 1600

GRAB0055.
    OM-D @ 800

I found that the two cameras are very very different. The OM-D is so responsive that you can get "the shot', the defining moment almost as a reaction, a reflex to the moment. The Fuji requires much more thought and an anticipatory approach. Neither methodology is particularly better than the other, just very different. For me, the OM-D lends itself for shooting fast moving photo journalism type stuff. The Fuji for slower pace, more photographic thoughtful stuff.

The Fuji delivers a more film like image the OM-D a bit more of a digital look/feel.

Gary

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks for the images! Even the lens cap one looks good :)

This gives me a little insight of what the OM-D is capable of.

7. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    GaryAyala, some great action shots! And that image cap shot at 12,800 ISO... wow. Not bad. I have one coming, should be fun.

From all that I've read, seems like Fuji X gives the best IQ, certainly at high ISO. But OMD gives the best performance and response, and has the great MFT lens selection.

If I could afford all these cameras I would get them all just for fun. But I chose OMD as the best all-around performer and the MFT system.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'd dump the 18mm in favor of the 14mm, (as you already have an 18mm in the zoom, which, while not as fast, it is sharper).

G

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The OM-D is extremely versatile and flexible with a ton of lenses behind it. If I had to choose between the Fuji and Oly, for what and how I shoot, I'd have to go with the Oly even though it feels sorta mechanical, cold and mass produced in one's hands, (when compared to the Fuji's which feel hand-crafted), it is a stellar performer. As to the controls, on the top are two dials, one for aperture the other for shutter speed, they are configurable per camera mode. If you get the grip, the grip also has dials and buttons.

Gary

While not ideal for sports, the OM-D can shoot sports better than most µ4/3's and Fuji's. It just takes a lot more work than a high level dSLR.

2CBL5018.

P7140094.

P7100222.

P7100189-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    If I want to "build around" my existing kit based on Fuji X-E1 and XF18 & XF18-55 lenses; what lenses on the OM-D could complement my X kit?

Based also on my main need for the OM-D; wild life and nature.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    P100-300, IMO, is a must
    Maybe the O75, or one of the macros (PL45 or O60).

12. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks! This is really where the OM-D / m43 could be a superb complementary camera system to my Fuji X system!

I could think of the Fuji system as my wide angle system and normal focal lenght system (I should swap the XF18 for the XF14 as Gary said).

The m43 with the OM-D could be my long range system.

Now my thinking is getting a little bit clearer!

In this light the OM-D could bring more into my photography than the X100s.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    While it sounds like a a financially sound idea to extend rather than overlap focal lengths, they are two very different cameras. For wildlife I'd get the P100-300. If you like primes, the O12mm, P25, O45 and O75mm are top notch performers.

With zooms, the P12-35 and P35-100 are at least equal to the Canon 24-70L and 70-200L lenses.

For ultra wide, I have the P7-14, equal in IQ to my Canon 16-35L. (The P7-14 does have a real CA problem, with the OM-D, generating a purple CA when pointed into a light source. I mine is easy to controlled but I've seen other lens/camera combos which is pretty bad.)

For macros I have the O60mm.

The µ4/3 premium lenses, by my standards, would be:

O12mm
    P25mm
    O60mm
    O75mm

P12-35
    P35-100

On the fence:
    P7-14

A lot of bang for the buck (still very sharp):
    P14mm (pancake)
    P20mm (pancake)

Acceptably Sharp (very good value)
    P45-200
    P100-300
    O40-150
    P14-45

This is just an assessment of lenses I have owned (hands-on experience). There are many more out there. I believe the PL45mm macro and the new O17mm are exceptional lenses, but I've never owned or used them.

Gary

PS- If any of you guys are in LA, I'd be happy to meet and let you try out lenses/camera.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  14. mango

mango Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    I also have OMD and XE1, they are just diferrent kind of camera for diferrent job. I have OMD for most of my journalist shooting, low light shooting (focus speed & performance plus IBIS help much more than low noise high ISO) and manual telephoto lens shooting hand-held (IBIS's always great!). My XE1 is for portraiture shooting (studio & outdoor), still life, landscape, or some of interviews. I used to have G5 as a back up body that my idea that time, to stay in one system only, but ends up not use it much since the OMD is too good and I do not want to use any other body in m43 format. So I looked for the differrent format and planed to use it for some kind of works that speed is no need and XE1 with its great kit lens with discounted price is fulfill that gap perfectly. I used to use X100 for a year so XE1 is not a problem for me to handle the slower speed and menu control.

15. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    What lenses do you use with your OM-D?

16. mango

mango Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    For native lens, I have Panasonic 14mm, Pana-Leica 25mm and Olympus 45mm (used to have Panasonic 7-14mm with G5 for ultra wide shot but sold, replaced by XE1 and I have planed to get 14mm/2.8 that is enough "wide" for my use). For manual focus- adapted lens, I have Contax G 45mm/2.0, Canon FD 50mm/1.4 and Canon FD 100mm/2.8.

17. mango

mango Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    Some low light shots, OMD with Canon FD 100mm/2.8 hand-held.
    small-h-muse-_pm24617.

small-h-muse-_pm24709.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just for kicks, here are some with the P100-300, to demonstrate a little bit of your nature shooting. With the EPM1, you hold the lens (and use the lens IS), with the OMD, you can hold the camera (with grip installed). I never tested which was better -- IS or IBIS.

EPM1
    [​IMG]

OMD
    [​IMG]

EPM1
    [​IMG]

EPM1
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Great pics!

20. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Another question came to my mind:

How is the OM-D when your holding it in your hand? Can you accidentally press buttons on the back? The area for your thumb seems kind of small. Is this a problem or not?