1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 'Free' grip/ battery holder HLD-6, a bit expensive.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    If I'm reading it correctly I have to splash out about £60 for a BLN-1 battery to fit into the HDL-6.

I was hoping that the grip would take AAA or AA batteries, any reason why not.

I can't see the grip being a lot of good to me, I've never had one and never needed one.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have never seen a high end camera that used AA/AAA batteries or heck even cr123s. They always use some sort of proprietary batteries. I have seen some cheap aftermarket grips that used common batteries however.

If the grip isn't of use to you then sell it! I wish the free grip was part of the deal over here in the USA , I would have preordered if it had been.

Don't forget the grip is actually two parts and the top part is just an extension with an extra shutter release and dial. I bet I will end up using that all of the time and only use the battery/bottom grip 10% of the time.

3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Most, if not all grips have always been able to either take a couple of original batteries, or a pack of AA. In fact I've never seen a high-end camera from Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Olympus that wouldn't allow using AA's with its original grip, only Sony seems to ignore this trend.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Plenty of people will buy your grip if you don't need it.

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    One thing I absulutely love about my Ricoh GRD2: in the compartment for the Li-ion battery is a flip-up plate that will allow you to use a pair of AAA's in a pinch. I cannot tell you how many times I've been in the middle of nowhere-istan when stuff like that comes in handy.

That said, I'm also a little disappointed in the price of the grip. One nice thing is that if this camera is as big a hit as I think it will be, there may be third-party grips for it as well.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    They could have very easily made the grip/battery pack accept AA batteries, but then folks would be bitchin' about the overall size. You know some people still think m43 cameras were made to be carried in a pocket !!!

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The "High End" Canons and Nikons have built in grips (non-removable) which do not accept AAA or AA batteries. Canons and Nikons cameras which accept battery grips as an accessory do come with an adaptor which does accept AA batteries.

Gary

I do not believe that collection of AA/AAA batteries will deliver the same performance as a single specialized battery in the same space.
    G

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you wait, there's probably a good chance there will be third-party grip makers that will accept AA/AAA batteries.

Could be a long wait though.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I stand corrected. It does seem that the add-on grips do come with an adaptor to allow AA or AAA. The Nikon bodies I have used with the grip built in did not have them however.

I personally would never use AA batteries for a camera unless it were an emergency. I find even good AA to loose power very quickly for cameras.

The Oly grip only uses one battery so there won't be room for AA and I doubt even AAA. All grips I have used took two batteries.

10. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'll give you an address in the States that you can send that crappy free grip to once your EM-5 is delivered. I'll even cover postage!

I can't imagine why you'd want to keep it. [​IMG]