1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OM-D E-M5 'Free' grip/ battery holder HLD-6, a bit expensive.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    If I'm reading it correctly I have to splash out about £60 for a BLN-1 battery to fit into the HDL-6.

I was hoping that the grip would take AAA or AA batteries, any reason why not.

I can't see the grip being a lot of good to me, I've never had one and never needed one.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have never seen a high end camera that used AA/AAA batteries or heck even cr123s. They always use some sort of proprietary batteries. I have seen some cheap aftermarket grips that used common batteries however.

If the grip isn't of use to you then sell it! I wish the free grip was part of the deal over here in the USA , I would have preordered if it had been.

Don't forget the grip is actually two parts and the top part is just an extension with an extra shutter release and dial. I bet I will end up using that all of the time and only use the battery/bottom grip 10% of the time.

3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Most, if not all grips have always been able to either take a couple of original batteries, or a pack of AA. In fact I've never seen a high-end camera from Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Olympus that wouldn't allow using AA's with its original grip, only Sony seems to ignore this trend.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Plenty of people will buy your grip if you don't need it.

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    One thing I absulutely love about my Ricoh GRD2: in the compartment for the Li-ion battery is a flip-up plate that will allow you to use a pair of AAA's in a pinch. I cannot tell you how many times I've been in the middle of nowhere-istan when stuff like that comes in handy.

That said, I'm also a little disappointed in the price of the grip. One nice thing is that if this camera is as big a hit as I think it will be, there may be third-party grips for it as well.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    They could have very easily made the grip/battery pack accept AA batteries, but then folks would be bitchin' about the overall size. You know some people still think m43 cameras were made to be carried in a pocket !!!

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The "High End" Canons and Nikons have built in grips (non-removable) which do not accept AAA or AA batteries. Canons and Nikons cameras which accept battery grips as an accessory do come with an adaptor which does accept AA batteries.

Gary

I do not believe that collection of AA/AAA batteries will deliver the same performance as a single specialized battery in the same space.
    G

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you wait, there's probably a good chance there will be third-party grip makers that will accept AA/AAA batteries.

Could be a long wait though.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I stand corrected. It does seem that the add-on grips do come with an adaptor to allow AA or AAA. The Nikon bodies I have used with the grip built in did not have them however.

I personally would never use AA batteries for a camera unless it were an emergency. I find even good AA to loose power very quickly for cameras.

The Oly grip only uses one battery so there won't be room for AA and I doubt even AAA. All grips I have used took two batteries.

10. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'll give you an address in the States that you can send that crappy free grip to once your EM-5 is delivered. I'll even cover postage!

I can't imagine why you'd want to keep it. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.