1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Firmware Update Requests

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by recasper, May 25, 2012.

1. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    I thought I would put up a single thread for Olympus reps, with fingers crossed and grandiose delusions of our power in place, lol.

This can be catch all thread for software changes to make the Olympus OM-D E-M5 a "more" perfect camera.

I'll start it off with a handful:

I Want:
    1. Focus Peaking
    2. MySet Locking from fn-buttons
    3. MySets acting as selectable Custom Modes
    4. Easier Priority Mode Minimums (shutter/aperture)
    5. Auto-Shot Bracketing with Timed Shot Mode (Example: 3 shots taken upon countdown)
    6. Complete function button mapping. Remove the mapping limitations.

If you have software concerns that could be remedied with an update, drop them in below. Or thank the heck out of a post that has addressed concerns you currently have.

Olympus... Hear our pleas for Perfection!

• Like Like x 1
  2. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    #1 = make it work properly first like it's supposed to = IBIS in Video-Mode for Adapted/Legacy/Non-Native lenses

3. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
  4. Yaroha

Yaroha Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    x2 magnification

When shooting with legacy lenses magnification feature very useful, but sometimes I find minimal magnification at x5 is still to much for some scenarios. It would be very useful to go down on magnification to like x2 or so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    #1 = make it work properly first like it's supposed to = IBIS in Video-Mode for Adapted/Legacy/Non-Native lenses

6. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Fix the problem with Lumix 20 mm lens....please...

Sorry could only think about it right now

• Like Like x 1
  7. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    What's wrong with the 20mm?

8. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

It exhibits severe banding in high-ISO, low light conditions. Also, it occasionally locks up the camera when it goes into sleep mode, necessitating battery removal for recovery.

9. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

1. Fix the 20mm f/1.7 issues
    2. Focus Peaking
    3. Ability to assign functions to the "up-arrow" button in direct function mode

• Like Like x 1
  10. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Seems like there are a couple bugs of how the body reacts or lacks to react concerning electronic-lens-connectivity (20mm bugs, and IBIS not turning on in video-mode with non-native/adapted lenses).

11. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I've never owned an Oly....But how long does it usually/in the past take for Olympus to come out with the first/new FW updates after a new release?

I know Canon is pretty quick when it comes to big FW issues on a new release, like a week or two after release. Olympus?

12. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Hi Olympus,

After fixing the IBIS in Video mode for Legacy/adapted lenses...can you give us 24p too???

You want to beat Panasonic, don't you??? Well, fix IBIS in video mode AND give us 24p too ;)

After all, the OM-D, is the "flagship" model, right? ;)

13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    1. Nice to have, I'd take the Panasonic way of focusing a smaller window ("rangefinder" style) in the frame
    5. A MUST for HDR
    6. Yes!

14. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I guess there's not many m43 users that use MF/adapted/legacy lenses?

15. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    GSP
    What is their history on firmware updates on the Pens & E-series? I would think it would be similar for the E-M5. Have they ever added features, or only release bug fixes?

16. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I'm wondering too how fast they release the first FW for early fixes in their new models, such as the OMD.

I would consider "IBIS in Video-Mode for Adapter Lenses not working" as a bug, and not an extra feature. Since it never states it in the manual it won't work in video mode nor for adapted lenses, and there isn't any "warnings" about this in the manual either. Heck, page 49, clearly states the instructions for inputting the correct focal-length for/when using legacy/adapted lenses to work properly/better with IBIS, and never stated it only works for stills and doesn't work in video mode. This is most definitely a bug.

..this needs a FW fix ASAP!

Native lenses + stills + IBIS = check
    Native lenses + video + IBIS = check
    Adapted/non-native lenses + stills + IBIS = check
    Adapted/non-native lenses + video + IBIS = a BUG and doesn't work :(

/
    \
    /
    \
    /

17. Sevventh

Sevventh New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    On fast lenses like the 25mm 1.4 please add an option open the aperture FULLY for live view, not just briefly for focusing. This would allow critical manual focus and a brighter less grainy viewfinder.

Secondly, please fix the strange under exposed first frame when using high shutter speed that I just found out!

18. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    DoF preview button?

19. Sevventh

Sevventh New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    DoF preview works, but you have to keep it held down, not good if you are also trying to do other things.

20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Have you tried turning on "LIVE VIEW BOOST"