OM-D E-M5 built like a tank: demonstrated!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phoque, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I just arrived from a cross-country skiing run. I was wearing my camera on the chest, on my camera vest. Conditions were fast with the surface being icy and hard. I like speeding on my skis, so at some point I got my skis into the traced lanes (I was doing skating style) and squat to gain more speed. Unfortunately, the traced lanes got messed up further down and I fell ... on my camera! :dash2:

I tried to protect it while falling, but it did take a substantial hit. I examined it and it didn't look damaged. I tried to take a picture and the camera wouldn't focus anymore. :crying:. I thought I had broken something, ****! I put my camera in my back pack and continued my ride.

When I got back to my car, I examined it more carefully and noticed that the video button was tucked in. So I just played with it to release it and, abracadabra, it worked again! :happy-084:

I felt a bit stupid for taking that kind of risk with 2 gran worth of equipment on my chest in that kind of conditions (I had my panasonic 12-35 on it). I had my lesson, I'll be more careful in the future.

Still, I demoed that this camera is built like a tank! :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    My tank had the top of the rear dial fall off into my hand while photographing my kids during Christmas not exactly hardcore.
  3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Oh I dunno, I heard Dolly Parton was into a bit of Parkour every now and then.

Hope your chests are OK. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    My E-M5 much be defective, it's dial is firmly fixed even when I've tried to pry it off, the eyecup takes effort to get off and on, there is no crack on the LCD screen, hell I'm thinking I should send it back to Olympus :)

Seriously, I'm glad your camera survived, good to know its a sturdy little bugger.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Glad to hear neither you nor the camera had any lasting ill effects!

I'm leery about carrying anything hard in front when skiing or climbing because of the potential for having it jammed into my ribs if I trip or fall. I try and shift them to the back in such cases.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - excellent advice, broken ribs are not fun. :biggrin:
  8. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I'd have thought a Gopro Hero would be better for situations like that.

I don't tke my GX1 now on mountain trips any more after a similar thing happened to me, For me, much too expensive (only on state pension) would have had an heart attack with 2 grands worth of gear round my neck.

So now take a simple cheap compact that I can afford to lose in case of a fall

we have been forecast snow for next few days so already waxing the cross country skis
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Boy, those kids are tough . . .
  10. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Lesson leart here: Don't ski so fast when you aren't that good :rofl:
  11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    I used teach in the mtns for quite a few years so had a lot of mtn time

we used to call them riblets ? the things that hold up the ski lifts

one time a guy was flying down the hill and smacked into one super hard !!!!

only thing I heard out of him was a moaning

NOT AGAIN !!!!

I laughed so hard and then called patrol :)
    just thinking the poor guy did not learn his lesson :) ahhahahaha

glad the OP was safe though :) toughest camera I ever had was my nikonos gear that stuff was truly built like a tank
    • Like Like x 1
  12. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    I bought this, I think it's meant for stuff and activities like yours (and mine :thumbup:)

Attached Files:

13. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Glad it was ok! Its good to hear that it can take a solid smack. Im somewhat hard on cameras, they tend to wince whenever i look at them in the camera store. ;)
  14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Do remember to check your lens for decentering post-impact.
  15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    And if you carry your camera on your back while skiing, you should be aware of the potential for having it jammed into your vertebras if you trip or fall. There are bags which can be mounted on your upper leg, which is a much safer place.
  16. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I dropped my EM-5 onto Tarmac from about two feet. The EVF stopped working properly and the diagnosis is that it needs a new 'power electronic assembly' at a cost of £168 :frown:
  17. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    LMAO, seriously? Im sorry I wasnt trying to offend you by laughing, but the way you said it is ridiculously funny hahahaha...

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:rofl::rofl: Obviously u have done a better job than Olympus , ur kids are more stronger than OMD :wink::wink:
  19. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    My two little girls beat my OMD into surrender
  20. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Any suggestions on how to do that?
    Thanks for the advice.