OM-D E-M5 auto-review on OLED

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Billyboy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Billyboy

Billyboy New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm new to this camera. I've been right through David Busch's book and looked at the manual but can't find an answer so hopefully someone out there can advise me. I want to use the EVF to compose and take photos but have the taken photo appear on the OLED screen automatically, with an option to leave it there until I want to remove it. This is how I have always used my Canon SLR with its OVF.

I can see how to set it up in Live View but not when I'm using the EVF.

Any ideas?
  2. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Got this idea from DPR:
    Go to Menu > Wrench (Settings) > Rec View = Auto
    Go to Cog > J > Built In EVF > EVF Auto Switch = On

Press button to the right of EVF to make the it the primary display.

If you want the back LCD to be blank:
    Press Info until the LCD screen is blank

You may have to NOT remove your eye from the EVF too soon for the image to show on the LCD.
    Works for me. Hope it helps.
  3. Billyboy

Billyboy New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2013
    Thank you Pecos - very helpful. It seems the key is in the delay before taking your eye from the EVF. Just something I'll have to get used to.
  4. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    It seems the faster the SD card, the shorter the delay.

5. w4rmk

w4rmk New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2011
    I have fought with this issue as well. Olympus just didn't do a good job with this workflow, seems quite simple, give us a menu option that allows image review on the LCD when shooting with the viewfinder. Almost every DSLR on the planet works this way, including Panasonic's. The OM-D implementation is lousy, even when it does work the image stays on the LCD and the EVF is off until you half-press the shutter. Come on Oly!!!