1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 Arriving in LA

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MQDuclos, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

Just got a phone call from my dealer that my OMD-EM5 (Silver w/12-50mm kit) is ready for me to pick-up.
    I'll be grabbing it later today. I don't know how their pre-orders are going but I'll ask what their stock looks like when I get there and report back.
    Many pics to follow.

• Like Like x 4
  2. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Please check to see if they fill up Kit pre-ordered 1st before BodyOnly pre-order

3. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

I was told that they do not have "Body Only" stock nor do they have the grip in stock yet. :(

4. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    ARGHHH... no love for us prime-lovers :(
    thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That's what I was afraid of... body-only kits will come later than the full kits. Hopefully we're not talking about week-long differentials here...

• Like Like x 1
  6. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

I'm getting this camera just in time. Visiting Las Vegas for NAB next week and then Disneyland the weekend after that. Plenty of material for a wide range of testing over the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    OK. I'm in Albuquerque, between L.A. and Allentown. So where's my E-M5!? (Still hopeful it will come in today's mail. UPS has already been here and delivered the hood I ordered for the 12-50mm. But where's the camera??

8. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    can we ask which dealer this is?

9. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Funny I just saw this thread then right when I was about to pick up the phone to call around, I got a call from a store that I preordered from. I ordered from a store in Texas, and they got a silver kit. I asked for silver body only but I think I'll get the kit now just in case I need the fully weather sealed and stuff.

10. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

Yes. I was hesitant to disclose at first because I didn't know how far up the list I was (tippy-top), but I pre-ordered and just picked it up from Samy's Camera. They had a few kits (all pre-orders) and expect to fill their orders and have stock within two weeks. Not sure how accurate this is, but it sounds like most people ordered just the body. I suspect Olympus delivered more kits than body only because suckers like me who ordered just the body get the call saying they have the kit and of course I say 'I'll take it!!". Best of luck to those of you with pre-orders. Keep an eye on this thread for more goodies. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I'm in Rio Rancho...

may they deliever your camera to my place!

12. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I had a feeling it was samy's and proceeded to call them... Unfortunately, no go as their main 800 no. still says no ETA.... I guess the actual store no. would be better to contact....

13. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334181796.235298.
    A quick little comparison snap. A few of my other M43 cameras along side the new E-M5

14. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

Don't forget that Samy's also has several locations across Southern California. Try the other stores as well. Not sure how their internal distribution works.

15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  16. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

17. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I guess it's a good sign that the smaller retailers are getting their shipments... so hopefully, the big boys will be getting theirs in bulk soon.... wishful thinking, wishful thinking... it always works, right?

18. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    same here... I voted for the last one that got cancelled due to rain... so I'm up for it.... and make sure you EM5 owners bring it so we can drool all over them... don't worry, they're weather sealed :)

19. MQDuclos

MQDuclos Mu-43 Regular

Okay... Quick first impressions.
    I definitely hear the "humming" sound that others reported. To me, it sounds more like static noise coming from a very small speaker. I presume it is from the IS feature Suspending the sensor in place. It still makes the same amount of noise with IS switched off but does quiet down when switched to movie mode. I could only hear it in a completely quiet room and it really didn't bother me at all.
    The focus is in fact lightning fast and the frame rate is impressive. The shutter sound is nothing like that of my E-PL1 or E-P3. It's a much softer, smoother flapping sound, whereas my PEN cameras have a very mechanical clicky tapping sound when the shutter is released. The knobs all have a very nice tactile feel with just the right amount of resistance. The buttons on the back felt a little bit mushy, but seem to respond very well. The menu system is relatively the same as the PEN cameras which makes it very easy to navigate if you're seasoned. Not sure what else to say yet. I'll be taking photos over the next few days and sharing. I welcome any and all questions. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Have fun with the camera :D