1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5 and manual lenses; EXIF question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manypix, Jul 18, 2013.

1. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

I use my E-M5 with many different legacy manual focus lenses. I want to know what lens I've used for each photo. I always know what lenses I had in my bag a particular day. I always set the focal length properly for each lens as I mount it, because that lets the IBIS work correctly.

My question is: is this focal length, that I enter into the camera to tell the IBIS what to do, stored in the photo's EXIF data? If not, is there any way I could get some information into the EXIF data so I could later, while using Lightroom, tell what lens I was using for a particular photo?

Thanks!

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't really help you with EXIF question, but I have used OM lenses & afterwards couldn't remember F/ value I had used & I just thought it would be useful to remind you the E-M5 does record voice memo to go with each frame if desired.

EDIT: I went back to check those photos first taken with the OM lens & they are showing 0.0mm (& I'm pretty sure I had the focal length in for the IS). The voice memo & later EXIF editing might the solution.

• Like Like x 1
  3. When I was using adapted lenses I would take a photo of the lens before I mounted it on the camera, so I knew that every image I took afterwards was with that particular lens (until I changed it for another one).

4. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    You are an awesome genius.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I use a free Lightroom plugin called Lenstagger which allows me to add EXIF data (lens, focal length, f/stop, etc.) to my files in a semi-automated way.

I also try to remember to snap a shot of my lenses before I change as Nic suggests, but my execution of this useful tip is a bit hit-or-miss.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    that is actually a great idea.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For me, I usually forgot to take a pic, but a quick video of 3-5sec would let me talk the focal length and aperture, and I could reference the first shot I took, aka. "Starting with the tree, 58mm f4".

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Recording a voice note before switching lenses would work. Or take a shot in the car mirror or something :)

I usually upload my photos within the week and I quickly name the photo with which lens I used in the name.

As far as the aperture goes, I can usually remember very well because just based on the situation, I would probably always use a similar aperture so I can guess what I used. For example, with my 50/1.7, I like to shoot at f4 or f4.5, ISO 200. But if I see that the ISO was kicked up to 800, I would assume that I dropped the aperture a bit too. If the ISO is 1600 the aperture would almost surely be 2.8 or 2.0.

9. Ross the fiddler

The voice note, or memo would be better attached (IMO) to the first or last of the photos with the OM lens. It's fairly quick to add to the photo being viewed.

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here's the link to the LensTagger Lightroom plugin I mentioned in my previous post. It's a really simple tool for adding this sort of information.

It does allow you to record the aperture as well, but there's still the problem of recording/remembering it. I find myself just omitting the f/stop about half the time since I can't recall what I was shooting at. Either that, or I'll just give it a best guess. I might have to try that voice memo tip, but it feels like that would slow down my (already slow) workflow to the point that I might never actually edit any images. Frankly, I just don't value to aperture information that much...it's rarely something that I'll use in a search, for instance.

11. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

I didn't know that the E-M5 had an audio image memo function. I looked it up in the manual. On page 73, under Audio Recording in Playback Options, I found the information on this feature. You can hit OK when viewing a photo in playback mode. When you do, the context menu comes up, and on that menu there is a microphone symbol. Strangely, after recording an audio memo on an image, I didn't find any way to replay it within the camera.

Lightroom 4 imports the audio correctly along with the photo, but the only indication that it has done so is the notation of WAV in the Sidecar Files section of the Metadata sidebar section. And the only way to play it seems to be to locate the file in the Finder (Explorer for Windows) and play it there. Useful, but pretty cumbersome. Still, it's better than what I was doing.

Thanks!

12. Ross the fiddler

You can replay it in the camera (thankfully). Once the sound wave is recorded & attached to a photo-frame, viewing that frame again (as that frame is being first viewed again) in Play Back mode (which can be done immediately after recording the file in Play Back mode by moving back one frame & forward to the original frame again) it will then play the sound wave. Every time that frame is viewed (in Play Back) in the camera, the sound wave will always play. I don't think that is cumbersome & the sound wave needs to be heard immediately to review it to ensure you've recorded it OK, in case you need to re-record it. Of course, viewing the images in Olympus Viewer 3 allows you to listen to the Voice Memo wave file by clicking on the musical note symbol in the thumbnail of the photo in the Browsing Window & also Windows (file) Explorer shows the wave file (with the matching file number to that of the photo) & lets it be listened to.

EDIT: Sorry, but I think I've repeated myself a little in trying to explain myself.

13. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

I appreciate your very clear explanation. I didn't notice the in-camera replay of the memo audio clip because the volume was turned down on my camera from previous plays of videos.

I agree, this isn't cumbersome at all--in fact, it's pretty convenient--and I expect it to help me quite a bit.

Thanks!

14. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    If you carry a smartphone you can also type out or record notes per-picture, or do so on a voice recorder, or scribble on a moleskine like a hipster.

15. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

I've been using the voice memo feature for more than a week now to remember lens model, and occasionally aperture too. It's great!

Thanks!