1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M5: A few bugs in Video-Mode - no Magnify and permanent Auto-Exp in m/s/a/p

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fooddude, Jun 15, 2012.

1. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Just got mine yesterday.... Love it!

3200 iso Videos are soo clean! Cleaner than my old 5N And 5D2!!!

And of course, IBIS is the shizznit! Makes videos look like they were shot on a tripod, fluid head or shoulder-rig and sometimes/almost a steadycam-rig. No more need to lug around big stabilizing gear just for casual/street/hobby shooting and no more shaky footage! Awesomeness!

~ So far... my only gripe... no Magnify in Video mode; not even with MF assist turned on, nor if Fn2 is set to "multi-function" (which includes Magnify in its' included 4 "multi" quick-choose-options). I guess I can always switch from the stills-modes to video-mode quickly though, if I need to do Magnified MF'ing.

~ Also noticed another small bug. If your Video-Mode Exp setting is set to M, the camera's mode knob Has to be set in Video-Mode. Ie: if you hit the video-record-button in a Stills-mode instead, m/s/a/p (even if Video-Mode-exp-setting in the menu is set to M), it will record in Auto-Exp automatically/permanently... So you have to make sure your left mode-knob is always on Video-Mode if you want to shoot Manual Video...not a huge deal, but I can see that I and others will forget from time to time, especially in the heat of the moment when out shooting... and might come home to find out you just captured a bunch of clips, that are ruined because it's on auto-exposure.

2. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Sony's peak focus, IS for legacy lenses in video more and this could easily be my main camera for the next 5 years. I got mine yersterday too and I'm impressed with how good is the IS in video mode. My only gripe is how 'digital' the files look compared with my ex 5N with a the same Leica lens. The 25PL is not a bad lens on the OMD

3. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Just found out a great fix for the "accidental Auto-exp in Video-Mode while on m/s/a/p stills-mode".....

Set the custom button function for the Red-Dot-Video-Record-Button to off or something useful, like WB or ISO, etc. This way, it will be impossible to record video in the m/s/a/p stills-shooting modes, and you have to turn the left Mode-Dial to Video-Mode in order to shoot Video; no more accidental Auto-exposed-video!

Doing this, the Red-Dot-Video-Record button will stay as-is, or however you custom setted it to, and to record video, you now have to use the regular Shutter button to activate/start video recording.

....as for Magnify view in Video/Mode... no fixes or solutions yet. But, hope the above will help some out :)

4. apekkpul

apekkpul Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2012
    Magnify

I also find the lack of magnify function in video mode annoying. I have assigned Magnify to Fn2. As a workaround, I will focus manually in "M" mode and use Fn2 to magnify, if needed. Then I need to turn the left nub only slightly to go into the video mode.

5. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Yeah...this is what I do too. M mode > magnify > focus > turn mode-dial to Video > shoot .....pretty annoying and it would save a lot of effort and time if Olympus fixed this.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    That's the hard way of doing it. With the dial in "Movie", press Fn1, (this will magnify 2x), focus and press the red movie button to start recording. No need to turn dials.

7. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I've tried this.... doesn't work for me.. even when setting fn1 to magnify.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Works for me, assign Fn1 to "digital teleconverter" and the movie button to "movie". Make sure you have "digital teleconverter" turned on else where in the menu.

9. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Ah... I haven't thought of that, the tele-convertor setting... I'll try it out. Thx :)

10. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    @sammyboy: Awesome trick man! Just did it. Even tho only 2x, still better than nothing :)

..I didn't even knew it existed, I always thought it was a just setting for use with tele-convertors, lol... I am sure I will use it from time to time at the 2x too, for a slight pseudo-telephoto...so I have some questions about this "digital teleconvertor":

~ When shooting video with the digital-teleconvertor, how does it treat the file/video capture and how does it use the sensor? Ie: is it still 1080p full HD?? Does it use the entire sensor, or just the zoomed in portion?? Or, is it just a crop of the sensor, and just a crop of the 1080p video??

It would be nice, or nice to know, IF it just used the zoomed in little portion sensor, But still at full 1080p HD.... because IF it did, this means, less line-skipping, since it uses a small part of the sensor at 1080p (about 3mp images), and doesn't need to skip as many lines as using the entire sensor..no? ie: entire 16mp sensor at 1080p needs to skip a lot of lines in order to fill that 16mp resolution sensor with only 1080p/3mp, as opposed to filling just half of that sensor in digital-convertor-mode, maybe at only 9mp, with the 1080p/3mp image.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Using the Fn1 button as the "digital teleconverter" works very well when doing stills also, even with legacy glass. I also prefer using the Fn1 button as opposed to the Fn2 button. Reason being, if you accidentally hit the Fn1 button, you're still in the picture taking frame mode, as opposed to other option that can be assigned to it.
    By assigning the Fn2 "multi-function", you now can change the size of the AF focus box to the very small size (14). Select magnify from the menu, press the Fn2 button (don't remember if it's once or twice), turn the rear thumb wheel to the desired size of the AF box. 5 is the largest size and 14 is the smallest size. Pressing the Fn2 button again sets the size of the box and takes you back to the photo shooting screen.
    Now you can understand the reason for assigning the Fn1 button to "teleconverter".

12. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Yes.. But the "multi-function's magnify" on fn2 only works in stills mode... I wish it worked when setting the mode-dial to video-mode too. It'd be much better to have 5x-14x magnify for MF'ing in Video-mode, than the 2x of the digital-tele.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, it only works on stills, but I read where so many people do not like the size of the focus box, and do not know how to change it.