OM-D E-M10 - strange issue with RAW in playback mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rozowykubek, Aug 24, 2015.

1. rozowykubek

rozowykubek New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2015

I have issue with my almost brand new EM-10 ( about 3 months old - not to mention broken battery hatch spring... ). Yersterday I took RAW picture of sheep and when I wanted to confirm that focus is where I wanted it to be my heart almost stopped beating...
    when magnified to x7 in my camera playback mode I have been able to see huge pixels ! they are so freakishly huge that the image is almost garbage and you can not tell where the focus is -..- so I have taken few more (nature/landscape) and on every one of them instead of clear image I see pixels... the funny thing is that few hours later I took photo of beer bottle and there everything is fine, I can even magnify to x14.
    Today I have made another landscape test... unfortunately when in playback mode and magnified to x7 I see pixels :eek:

So I checked taken images in OV3, pinched in to 100% and same story, I see pixels, but after a while they magically disappeared and when I export them to jpeg images are clean
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    It is normal. When you shoot only RAW, the camera makes also very small jpeg preview file which is baked in the RAW file and that is what you are viewing from the back screen. That same file is also in the OV3 before the program renders you a better jpeg preview from the RAW. You don't ever get to see the actual RAW file, it is only data from which the picture is extracted in different levels of quality on different parts of the whole process from light to back to light from your computer screen. Try shooting RAW+jpeg, maybe then the camera gives you a better preview image.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    The image preview generated in camera is a JPEG, whether you shoot in RAW only or RAW+JPEG. If you're shooting RAW+JPEG and have chosen a smaller sized JPEG, blowing them up to 7x/14x will also pixelate the image. If you shoot RAW only, then by default, the JPEG preview that's generated is the smallest size and obviously pixelation will occur when blown up to 7x/14x.

In OV3, you say it "magically disappeared" which tells me that you're computer is slow in generating a proper preview.

If you want to "pixel peep" in camera, shoot RAW+JPEG and set your JPEG setting to SF (Super Fine).
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. rozowykubek

rozowykubek New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2015
    hmm thanks for fast and accurate answer, it struck my mind some time ago but it did not seem right cause I have not noticed such behaviour until yersterday even though I have been taking RAW.. most probably + jpeg :hiding:
    and yes, it is 4 years old elitebook ;)