1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M10 screen blacking out

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wolfeye, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    I initially thought this was just with my cheapo Olympus 40-150 zoom but now I see it happens with other lenses. Can someone with that combo verify that your camera does not black out when you go from zoomed-in to zoomed-out? I had it happen several times. Sometimes I have to shut the camera completely down to get it to revive.

2. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    Sounds similar to my problem. IBIS would start making odd noises, my screen would go black, and I had to turn the camera off & on again to get it to work. I returned the camera, and the replacement has no problems at all with any of my lenses, including the 40-150 zoom.

3. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    So you can zoom in, and when you zoom back out, it never goes black no matter how fast or "jerky" you are?

4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    No such problem with mine.

Maybe the camera to lens contacts are not making good contact? My EM10 would not autofocus correctly out of the box. I kept the lens release button pressed and rotated the lens back and forth several times and that resolved my problem.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had a similar problem with the E-M1 and a third party battery.

6. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    Yes, I've never had my screen go black. It sounds like there is something wrong in the body - it wouldn't hurt to clean the lens contact pins, but it sounds like something worse. You could try contacting Olympus support to see what they say.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    This happened to my wife's E-M10 last week, cleaning the contact pins and contact points on the lens fixed it.

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    My month old EM5ii rear screen died. And Olympus replaced the body.

9. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I've had the screen momentarily black out when I'm altering the focus point on my camera. This is with the EVF eye sensor turned off.