OM-D E-M10 or GX7 ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jan68, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    Hi, I got into the 4/3 system a few weeks ago and started up with a GF1. I shoot professional, people/weddings/pets with my own small business, and as a newspaper photographer as a day-job. I bought a few lenses and learned a lot about the pros and cons using the 4/3 system, and I will shoot my booked weddings mainly with my Canon DSLR. But, I use the 4/3 quite a bit, and actually cover at least half of my newspaper-assignments with it. Upgrading to a better body would allow me to do even more, and that's where I am right now......

I am in between the Olympus OM-D E-M10 and the Panasonic GX7. I am using the viewfinder a lot (using the LVF1 on my GF1), like to shoot with available light and want to use the WiFi feature (what rules out the E-M5). Is it just personal preference between the 2 cameras or am I missing an important feature? I think the Panasonic has maybe a more solid body, but the Olympus seems to have the better viewfinder and is easier to handle with the 2 dials on top........

Any input on this?

Thanks!

2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I personally prefer Panasonic's layout, movie options and rangefinder design.

if none of that applies to you and the 3 axis IBIS and a bigger EVF sounds good to you then I think the E-M10 is the one for you.

in terms of body, yeah the GX7 feels a bit more sturdy but they're not 1DXs and wouldn't risk either to bangs and knocks.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If it were me, I would get the Em10 for larger viewfinder (not that much larger so YMMV ), unless you want Gx7 superior video capabilities.

4. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks!
    Video is not important, so I'm leaning towards the Olympus......

5. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Rest assured that sensor technology has moved on in leaps and bounds from the GF1, so either camera would give you a significant improvement in image quality and more especially the dynamic range aspect. Another thing that has changed somewhat is that the manufacturers are both producing rather bigger and less compromised lenses and rangefinder style cameras are not best suited to them. I agree that that the E-M10 would probably be a good choice for you.

6. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    I have the 14-42 HD lens and the Sigma 30 2.8. The 75 1.8 is on my list, and if the new body is as useful in my newspaper-job as I expect, I will invest in the 12-35 2.8 as the standard lens.

7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Get your hands on both of them if you can. When I was in the market I was trying to choose between the GX7 and the E-M5, and was really surprised at how differently they felt in my hands, with the GX7 feeling *much* better, ergonomically.

Now they've changed the design with the E-M10, which imho feels much better than its predecessor, but I ended up with the GX7 both for the wifi control and the way it felt in my hands. I also really like the tilting EVF in bright light conditions, though I mostly find the LCD adequate and faster in most of my shooting situations.

One thing I wish the GX7 had was Olympus' LiveTime feature, which would be great for light painting.

Good luck!

8. shiznit

shiznit New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2012
    The GX7 has 1/8000 sec shutter speed and silent mode, if that's important to you.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Both have 2 control dials. The GX7 is a better featured, and for me a camera with better ergonomics. The EM10 is tiny. Its a bit taller than your GF1 with the EVF, but control surfaces are actually smaller.
    http://camerasize.com/compare/#355,521

here is the EM10 with the GX7
    http://camerasize.com/compare/#472,521

With the GX7 you are getting all the Panasonic "killer" features (silent mode, touch focus with the EVF, tilt EVF etc.). With the EM10 you get live time, which is cool, but miss out on Olympus killer feature (5axis IBIS)

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    GX7 owner here. Both excellent cameras I assume, although the M10 is so new that teething problems are a possibility.

Definitely try both in hand.

I do love the GX7 silent mode. Maybe of possible use on some assignments like weddings if some clients don't want shutter noises during the ceremony.

Broadly speaking the GX7 is Panasonic's top enthusiast model, versus the M10 being Olympus' budget-enthusiast model, so, even putting aside feature lists, the GX7 costs a bit more and should deliver a bit more overall class.

11. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I handled both cameras before I bought my E-M10. Coming from Canon DSLR, I preferred the design of the E-M10 with the lens and the viewfinder in the middle. Just could not get used to the rangefinder layout. Just felt too different for me with the viewfinder to the side.
    As far as image quality and features, I can't imagine that they differ that much. Don't think there is a wrong choice here.

12. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    I was wondering about the size......... but then, they have the grip for the EM10 which adds a bit of size to the camera. Talking about features, I think both will do great for what I want to do. Having said that - the silent shutter could be the selling feature, I have to try that. I remember my Konica Hexar (1996) had a "silent mode", and that came in very handy in some situations......Talking about ergonomics, I will take both in my hand. My local dealer here in Canada has both in stock, will spend some time in the store this weekend....

13. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Good luck and let us know what you ultimately decide!

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had both, settled with the E-M10. I loved the form factor of the GX7, silent shutter, real focus peaking (E-M10's implementation is like a hacked art filter) and 1/8000th max shutter speed. The thing that bugs me though with the GX7 (and other Panasonic cameras) is the frame rate slow down in low light. This issue alone made me switch to the E-M10. My main criteria was a camera with built-in EVF and wifi in a small form factor. Also the wifi (on my Android Google Nexus 4) works better with the E-M10 versus the GX7.

If I could combine the features of both cameras, to me that would be the ultimate M43 body!

• Like Like x 2
  15. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    sigh i have a gx7 and em5 now... and i want to sell both and get an gx1 and em10... but i do like the gx7 a lot... but prefer oly bodies and want the wifizzzzzzzz

16. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    This is switchable through the GX7 menu, Jonathan. You could have turned it off. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    If you can swing the outlay AND like the e-m10, i would purchase it with the olympus 12-40. Current promo brings the cost down to $800($200 off). I think it is the best bang for your $.

I travel in third world countries, I believe that the Olympus camera looks like a DSLR (expensive) camera to the man on the street. The Panasonic looks more like a "regular" camera (cheaper). I would prefer to have a camera look cheaper/nonprofessional.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well there are other reasons why I switched (3-axis IBIS, wifi integration, SLR-style AF point selection, etc.). BTW - can you point out that option in the GX7 menu, I couldn't find anything of the sort when I went menu diving.

19. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Mine has all of these, you must have got a real dud! :tongue:

It is [MENU]>[Custom]>[Constant Preview]>[ON]/[OFF]

Enjoy the M10! :biggrin:

20. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Marketing-speak is best ignored by anyone who can understand a product space without it. My viewpoint was reached by spending 7 years in marketing.

• Like Like x 1