OM-D E-M10 Mark II & Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mft, Aug 26, 2015.

1. mft

mft New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2015
    Looking to purchase my first m4/3 body, I've been waiting on the new E-M10 Mark II to see how it compares to the E-M5 Mark II.

Of the features the E-M10 Mark II is missing (as compared to the E-M5 Mark II), the only feature that I may miss is the weather sealing and temperature operating range.

Has anyone used the old E-M10 in conditions below the rated 0 deg C? While I don't anticipate high usage in cold weather, there will be the occasional opportunity.

Thoughts and experiences?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'm interested in hearing comments on it too since I'm starting to feel I have to give up weathersealing on my next camera 'cos I can't get over the stupid swivel screen on E-M5II and E-M10II would be "good enough" for me otherwise. I know my E-M5 won't last forever (already lost 2 of them) and they've already discontinued it so... The clock is ticking.

I do have an insurance that would probably cover the damage to camera if it got wet but that wouldn't help much if it happened while on vacation abroad.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Used E-M5's should be available virtually forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mft

mft New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2015
    I also prefer the screen movement mechanism on the E-M10 i\ii vs the E-M5 ii.

I will most likely purchase a E-M10 ii.

When cold weather shooting - I'll revert to old school methods - carry a plastic bag and keep the camera under my jacket until it's time to shoot.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I fear the E-M1 MK ii will have the same stupid swivel screen. It could be a deal breaker for me - not only for the E-M1 but longer term for u43 since the only camera with an EVF with just a tilt screen will be the E-M10ii. Grrrr...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Why do you not like the swivel screen? It's a big help when doing video. I love my swivel screen on EM5 II, I came from a Pany G3 and honestly I never tried the tilt screen on other Olympus bodies.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I take a lot shots in landscape orientation with the screen angled - e.g.:

- holding the camera at the hip
    - holding the camera above my head
    - camera on a tripod at an awkward height

This works really well and I like it a lot. To do the same with a flip out screen, I'd have to unfold the screen first which doubles the width of the camera, makes it difficult to hold and of course makes it far less discreet. I'd be fine with a folding out screen if it would tilt as well - like on the Sony Alpha DSLRs, but I suspect that's quite an expensive design.

I appreciate it helps for video - and that really is the issue. These screens are really meant to make your ILC like a camcorder, but they damage the stills usability. If you don't do video (and I don't), then it's a step backwards.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Well, the swivel preferring people don't usually understand why swivel hating people don't like it. It's just one of these preferrence/opinion things where there's no absolute truth. The thing is that I think the swivel screen is slow, awkward, obtrusive and annoying and there's nothing anyone can say that will make me change my mind. :)

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Well to each their own. Unfortunately for you it looks like it's here to stay with the higher end models. Olympus is looking to recapture some of the market share from Panasonic in the video department.

10. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    The "swivel" screen on my E-M5.MkII is already bent/torqued out of square
    and I don't have a clue how it happened.
    Camera was never dropped or abused -
    in fact, hasn't even been used that much yet.
    Thankfully it snaps into place on the back OK
    but is wonky when extended. Not happy.
    No, I don't like swivel screens.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe not. I think that the EM5 might be the video model.

12. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    To bring the discussion back to cold weather...

The 5/II has only been out since late winter so it's not fair to comment on its very-cold weather functioning. What I can say is that the E-M5 that preceded it wins the seasonal race with the Nikons to the bottom of the camera bag as soon as glove use becomes necessary. It pops up to the top of the bag once the gloves come off. The control layout of the 5/II is better in that regard and, having acquired mine in its first week of release, I had a few weeks of ~0ยบ temperatures and I found it much more usable than the E-M5 with lightish gloves. What hasn't changed is the relative size and tactile presence of the 4-way control/OK pad. Wearing gloves, the 4-ways are easy to hit by accident and the OK is hard to hit by intention. So, if you live where it's glove-cold for a good part of the year, you probably have some adapting to do.

13. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I have had the original E-m10 out in just below 0C (-1C) for a good 40 mins of shooting time lapse on the one battery with no problems.. I haven't done it regularly enough to really state it's going to be fine.

• Informative Informative x 1