1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M10 in body image stabilisation and legacy lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Snowy55, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Snowy55

Snowy55 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Hi all,

I am hoping you can help me understand how the OM-D E-M10 in body image stabilisation would work in respect to my legacy Rokkor lenses. If I were to get an E-M10 would I get a benefit with say a Rokkor MD 200mm f4 as far as stabilisation is concerned? I know the lens is manual focus. I currently use my Rokkors on a Sony A7.

Thanks
    Snowy

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Yes it would definitely help. It will move the sensor to try and counter any vibrations and movement, but longer focal lengths magnify any movement and the range of sensor movement is limited, so at 400mm (200mm with a 2x crop ratio) the stabilization is less than you will see with shorter focal lengths. You might also consider the EM1 or EM5, they have a 5 axis IBIS (EM10 has 3 axis) so depending on what axis you get movement on, you might get better stabilization.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    With legacy lenses, you set the actual focal length that you're using in the IS menu (easy to do using the Super Control Panel) and then the camera knows what stabilisation setting to use. It's very effective.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snowy55

Snowy55 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Thank you GFFPhoto and OzRay. That is good to hear. I will check out the EM 1 and EM 5 as the 5 axis IBIS might make a real difference. I appreciate your responses.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    However, the other thing to consider is that the E-M10 has focus peaking, whereas the E-M5 does not. This will make manually focussing your legacy lenses much easier.

The E-M1 also has it, but costs twice as much as the E-M10. It's really in a different price category, and most of its features are targeted at working professionals. The image quality will be nearly identical on all three cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snowy55

Snowy55 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Thank you Turbofrog. For me, an important consideration.

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I thought there was a firmware update to add peaking to the em5?

I read that magnify is more accurate than peaking anyway (I've never tried). Also, I heard that on the em5 and em1 (and not on the PL5 and PM2) will also stabilize the magnify view.

Regardless, I was out shooting with my 200/4 last week. All shots at f5.6 for sharpness and even if it's dusk, if you're taking shots of the top of buildings or anything else that has sun directly on it, you can shoot ISO100 and 1/1000 with stabilization off.

Just one I snapped the other day handheld IBIS off

3498nrs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The firmware update hasn't come out yet, so it's just a rumour. Here's hoping it will happen, though, as at that point I would be happy to pick up a used EM-5 at the prices they are selling for these days.

As far as magnify, I agree that it's probably more accurate - it's all I have with my GX1, and I use a lot of adapted lenses, so I make do. But it's definitely not fast, and its not super easy to maintain framing, so for moving targets its kind of a no-go unless you are at small apertures. Focus peaking will get you into the ballpark very quickly, and then you can magnify after that (and magnified focus-peaking is quite accurate, actually - you can combine the two).