1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M10 IBIS problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ChrisN, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    So I just got my new OM-D E-M10, and was playing around with it a bit when all of a sudden, I heard a rattly, growly noise, and the camera turned off. I restarted the camera, and a few seconds later, the same noise, the live view got fuzzy and black, and the camera shut down. I removed the lens, and turned the camera on. The sensor would jump into the center, jiggle around a bit, and then move tight into the corner, and the camera would turn off. I restarted the camera, and the same thing happened. I even tried turning IBIS off, with the lens on or off, and the same thing happened.

I was outside with my tripod, so I turned the camera off, hauled everything to my desk, and sat down to look at it again. It worked fine.

Was my problem just a fluke? Or should I get it looked into?

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'd get it looked at - if you don't, you'll always be nervous about using the camera. If it's checked out and software reloaded or whatever happens at Olympus Service, at least you'll know it's been adjusted/checked out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It is clearly not a contact problem with the lens because it happens even without it. It seems IBIS related so you could try to very gently move the camera to activate it, or, without a lens, set the IBIS focal length to 300mm to stress test it.

You may try a full software reset of the camera, procedure here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3203494

or leave the camera without battery for a while. But being an intermittent problem it is hard to know if it is solved or not...
    I had a similar, but different, intermittent problem and after a few months it started to do it on any shot and the camera (E-M10) was unusable.

4. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

That's exactly what I did. The sensor sure was jumping around, but the camera did not shut down.

The firmware was at 1.1, so I updated it to 1.2. I'm going to try it out some more, and if it keeps happening, I'll most likely return it. I did email Olympus, so I'll see what they have to say, too.

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    As noted in a different thread,( https://www.mu-43.com/threads/77304/ ) after a few days of use, I had trouble with my first E-M10 which was purchased from Best Buy. I reboxed it and took it back and they ordered another one in for me. That second black camera, as well as the silver one I got from a camera store in California have worked well with no problems. Every store has a return policy of 14 days to 30 days. IMHO if your camera is within that period do not mess with it. Just return it and get another one. By trying to fix it yourself you’re just leaving yourself open for additional problems down the road.

6. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    My daughter in law had an issue with her new E-M10 where the shutter would just stick shut after the camera warmed up. Sent it back to the retailer and got a replacement that has worked without a hitch.

I'll echo the send it back advice.

7. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    Just thought I'd update on my problem. I could fairly easily reproduce the problem, so I ended up sending it back to the seller (I had bought it on ebay) and replacing it with another. The new one works quite well, and I love it!