1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M10 HDR shooting modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stu-52, Feb 26, 2014.

1. stu-52

stu-52 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    Southern California, near L.A.
    Stuart Liddle
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I just received my E-M10 (previously used Olympus E-510 & E30). I was trying out the HDR modes and found that the HDR bracketing is limited in terms of the EV between shots to either 2.0EV or 3.0EV.

So, a 7F 2.0EV will give you the following shots: -6 EV, -4 EV, -2 EV, 0 EV, +2 EV, +4 EV, +6 EV

Although it is nice to have the camera automatically shoot all 7 shots with one press of the shutter button, I would like some ability to define the EV step betwee images.

Am I missing something here or is this just the way it works?

I realize that I can use the AE bracketing to get smaller EV steps.

2. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I'm curious about this too. If the default HDR1 and 2 aren't preferred, is there a way to select the best bracketing settings and assign that to one button?

3. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I agree. If I had to be locked into one set of steps, I think I'd prefer 1EV and 2. Especially since it gives you all those steps (wow, SEVEN!).

4. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    The O-MDs fall a little short as a HDR tool compared to other models. You will see this mentioned from time to time in reviews. I've found the 5f 2ev works fine however shooting raw and processing in PS. There is enough image information (32bit) in the raw conversions to have a fair amount of control in post. The HDR1 and HDR2 settings are useless IMO.

The other thing you can do is use a tripod and shoot in 3f 2ev mode. Take the first series, then take a second series after moving your base exposure 1ev. That would give you 6 exposures 1ev apart. A little more work and a tripod is necessary.

Otherwise just use the 5f 1ev mode in the standard bracket mode.

Bozer: yes you can set any one of the buttons to HDR which will automatically put the camera in HDR mode using your last setting.

5. stu-52

stu-52 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    Southern California, near L.A.
    Stuart Liddle
    I liked the one shutter press for HDR, but it looks as if you get the same functionality if you set your bracketing and use sequential instead of single frame for the shutter press.